Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Haggie 
#1 ·
I'm debating buying a Tiguan, and the very existence of this forum makes me want to join your club.

Here's my debacle.

Tiguan #1 - 2011, 57,000 miles (asking 15K). In service history, it had timing chain tensioner replaced with chain and the cylinder head had to be rebuilt. Sounds like the crappy tensioners gave out.

Tiguan #2 - 2013, 35,000 miles (asking 17k). Perfect history. zero issues.

Aside from cost, newer Tiguan will be under warranty for a bit longer. The thing is, there is some comfort knowing that Tiguan #1 has already had the dreaded issue and its been replaced. I could buy Tiguan #2 and when I hit 70K miles, I could have engine failure out of warranty. Then again... the cylinder head has already been rebuilt on #1....

What does the forum think?

Thanks!

#3 ·
I recently bought a 2012 Tiguan. When I bought the car, I also bought a five-year/100K mile warranty. Complete, bumper-to-bumper warranty, minimal deductible, and valid at any ASE certified mechanic. It added a couple thousands to the purchase price, but the piece of mind is worth it.

By the way, I love the car. Traded in my VW Eos for it. Eos was great, but too small for a three-dog family.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.