Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
64K views 77 replies 28 participants last post by  Andygoodbloke 
#1 ·
I've had my 2012 Tiguan SE for about 3 months now. I love the car but since day one the transmission has been shifting into the next gear way to early causing mild vibrations and rattling. I can control this by using the Tiptronic mode. Dealer said to be patient while the computer adjusts to my driving habits. I have 1,200 miles on the car and the dealer says that should be enough time for the car to have adjusted. Apparently the early shifting improves gas milage. He says VW should be putting out a computer program update to correct this. Does anyyone else have the same issue with the transmission. If so, we should all contact VW to let them know about our displeasure and hopefully get the program update released sooner. Thoughts?

#2 · (Edited)
#3 ·
Thanks, Old Dog, for the threads. I emailed VW Customer Care today. I will give them a chance to fix the problem. If they do not I will use the "lemon-law" lawyer that has won settlements for me twice in the past (both cases vs. Ford). The Tiguan costs too much money to have a serious issue like this go uncorrected. Maybe I am a jumping the gun but I am documenting all of my phone calls, emails and conversations with VW and the dealership. They will be needed for any potentail suits. I hope it does not come to that.

#4 ·
You are very welcome. I hope too it does not come down to any potential lawsuits.

All the best.

Reactions: hhbah
#5 · (Edited)
So you plan on getting a lawyer for a THIRD time and going lemon law on THREE cars??? That leaves a bad taste in my mouth and if I owned a dealer I'd probably not let you come there. Actions speak louder than words.

For the "issue" at hand, there is no problem here. It is designed to shift in this manor and it's not just the tiguan. The Jetta, JSW, CC, passat, EOS, Golf/GTI all shift this way....especially starting for the 2012 model year. It's proven that shifting early and locking the torque converter all the time reduces fuel consumption. It also kills power and keeps the engine out of its peak torque band. If you think about it the EPA and tree huggers keep pushing for better fuel economy and manufacturers have to do something about it. It's so hard to please the EPA and consumers. usually the consumers are the ones who lose in this battle.

I'm currently driving a customers 2010 tiguan over the weekend to ensure no drivability problems and it shifts like any other tiguan 2009-2011...it shifts kinda late. Around 3000 rpm or later for normal driving. My 2012 jetta shifts just like your 2012...super early and makes the engine emit some really gargly gnasty noises. It's too bad because all 2012's arel ike this and the ONLY people to blame is the EPA and regulation.

Since all volkswagens are like this for 2012, there isn't a problem with yours. If you don't like it, then you can get rid of the car OR trade for a year older tiguan.

Reactions: OF-Erad and hhbah
#6 ·
At Nitroscope: My 2012 Tiguan is "driveable", so where my two Fords. But they had too had issues. My Tiguan is so unenjoyable to drive that I end up taking my Mercury Cougar to work most days. If VW does not issue a fix the the transmission then I will most certainly take them to court and force a settlement. My Kia Sorento it needed a total new engine at 2,220 miles. Kia fixed the problem without any hassles or problems. I would expect VW to do the same for a relatively minor fix and will hold them accountable if they don't. If that leaves a "bad taste in your mouth" I'm sorry. I will not lose thousands of dollars to trade the car if VW chooses to drag their feet about issuing a reprogram of the transmission. I will be patient but if the problem is not fixed as the 1 year mark approaches I will take action.

#7 ·
what i'm not understanding is how you can hold them liable if there is no PROBLEM. You test drove the car and bought it. If the car is supposed to perform one way and does NOT perform that way then I can understand what needs to be fixed. YOU feel there is a problem and YOU have expectations. However if this is how it was DESIGNED to OPERATE then nothing can be fixed since there is no problem. It so unds like you just don't like the car and you are having buyers remorse. Vw can issue a flash to make it more drivable but in no way is VW OBLIGATED to do so because they can't be sued over it.

I wish my jetta were higher so my wife can get in and out easier. I'm not about to go after Volkswagen because of this "issue." It's my fault for not buying a higher car.

#8 ·
I'm with Nitro on this 100%. This is a "perceived" problem only. VW, like all manufacturers, are being pushed to produce fuel frugal vehicles and that's what they've done, the fact that it changes up sooner than you would "prefer" is NOT a fault. There are also two alternatives provided to those who wish to burn more fuel, first is to place the transmission in "S" and the second to shift it manually. I suspect that VW "may" just come up with a gearbox re-program to force it to shift earlier in cases where people demand it, but then they'll probably all complain that they're not getting the advertised fuel economy !!

#9 ·
Oh good! Let's resolve everything with a lawsuit. This is exactly why all of us pay more for everything.

Sorry, but I agree with Nitro and NZTiguan. You test drove the car and bought it. I'm certain it shifted the same way during the test drive as it does now and as has been said, it's designed to shift that way.

Reactions: OF-Erad
#10 ·
-During the test drive I asked about the eratic shifting of the transmission. I was told that the transmission and turbo have an adaptive mode and that it would adapt to my driving style.
-Now I am being told by the dealer that there is nothing that they can do until VW issues a fix
-Had I not been mislead (and I have the email conversation with my salesman) I would certainly have bought the Tiguan with manual transmission and saved $2K
-I will be patient and let VW fix the problem, I've contact VW American already.
-If VW drags their feet and no fix is available prior to my 1 yr anniversay what other alternative do I have than to bring suit?

If anyone has a better idea I would love to hear it.

#13 ·
If he wanted fuel economy he would have bought a TDI vehicle..sounds to me he likes to drive spiritedly..but I agree with with you all that it's not VW's fault..Car was designed that way.....and i dont say this because im biased towards VW...i have a boat load of complaints about my MKIV.......this is the first person I have seen that dislikes the tiquan

#14 ·
I'm not sure my observation will help...but thought I would share it none the less...

My Tiguan only has 230 miles on it...so it's computer hasn't totally figured out my driving habits. BUT, I will say that I've noticed it likes to stay in lower gears a little longer than my previous Tiguan ('09). It shifts much like those who drive standard...which from someone who loves standards, is OK.

For instance...when driving in town I have noticed that the '12 Tiguan will stay in 3rd or 4th for in town driving, where my '09 would have already been in 5th or 6th. When the '12 Tiguan stays in those lower gears, I can hear the engine a little bit more, and feel little vibrations, but nothing of serious concern.

From what I'm reading from those who have responded above, what you are experiencing is somewhat normal. It's quite possible that VW has tweaked their gear ratios a little bit. But it doesn't sound to me like the car is a lemon.

#15 · (Edited)
My '12 Tiguan wants to get to the next higher gear as quickly as possible. I emailed VW America recently and received a phone call today from them, I was impressed with their speedy response. The gentleman gave me a case number and says he will contact the dealer and get back to me in a few days. I am really hoping that there is a simple fix to the shifting issues. I will report back the next time I hear from VW.

Found this article that describes my issue with the Tiguan exactly: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20120207/CARREVIEWS/120209912

#16 ·
While I can appreciate your dissatisfaction, I hardly think it's a case for a lemon law claim.

Usually that is reserved for a car that is broken. Has your Tiguan left you stranded anywhere? Has it been at the dealer for repairs multiple times and out of service for more than a month?

How are your driving habits? Do you drive consciously trying to be good on gas? My Rabbit wants to be in 6th gear by 40mph. This is what the transmission has learned because how I drive. If I drove more aggressively in automatic mode I'm sure it would be different. I save my shenanigans for sport and tiptronic mode.

#17 ·
I spoke with a rep from VW America. The Service Manager at the dealer told them that the car does shift a little early but that there is no update at this time. He said the car is operating according to specs. VW said that they do monitor sites like this and customer complaints. The more people that contact them about this transmission the sooner an update will be available. VW also said to avoid after market software updates. I would urge everyone that is experiencing similar problems to call VW America at 800-822-8987 to report the issue.

#18 ·
I had another VW dealer inspect my car. He said the transmission is operating as designed in one breath, then in the next he told me to keep in touch for a TSB. I asked him why there would be a TSB if the car is operating as designed. He did not answer that question.

I am really starting to think that the purchase of my 2012 Tiguan was a big mistake. It seems like they dont even want to acknowledge that there is a problem. Very disappointed in VW so far. I had better customer service from my wifes Kia dealer. They dropped an entire new engine in the car at 2200 miles and fixed the problem.

#19 ·
I'm curious what you want VW to do for you?

#20 ·
According to the posts in VWVortex the reprogram is on its way within the next couple of weeks in Canada anyway, presumably in all of NA and will be available for those who ask for it.

hhbah Your Tig IS operating as designed it's just that you and a number of others aren't happy with that. So, if you want to change it you will be able to shortly (if the reports are correct) BUT you will have to deal with the increased fuel consumption that will follow !!! So, your dealer was absolutely correct, your Tig is operating as designed and will be fine if you just leave it alone, AND get the best fuel consumption figures. If you don't like it changing up so soon you can have it changed .......... your call .......... and thankfully i've never heard of a new VW needing a complete new engine to fix a fault !!

#21 ·
and thankfully i've never heard of a new VW needing a complete new engine to fix a fault !!
^ this.

Hhbah, having a new engine installed after only 2200 miles would worry me more than customer service that isn't telling you what you want to hear.

#22 ·
You missed the point. Kia admitted that there was a problem and fixed it. VW will not even admit that there is a problem yet the dealer is telling me to stay in touch with them for a update on the transmission. I am expecting VW to take care of the problem soon. I dont think that is too much to ask. I will give them another month to fix it.

#23 · (Edited)
But there isn't a problem, you (among others) just don't like how the transmission is programmed to shift to improve fuel economy.

The transmission isn't broken, hasn't blown up and this isn't a safety issue, the car hasn't left you stranded.

Your technician pretty much told you there was an update coming and to hold tight and it's been exactly two months since your original post.

Think about it, your dealer and it's customers are only a small part of the entire VW corporation. The dealer can only go by what TSBs are currently available. They aren't going to just swap a transmission when there is nothing physically wrong with it because a customer doesn't like how early it shifts. They know how the transmission is supposed to perform and yours is performing as how it was intended from the factory at the time of its manufacturer.

That said, this doesn't mean things can't change and based on customer feedback (yours) they decide to make a change (exactly what is happening). You just have to let the process happen. Your dealer reports back to corp that some customers are complaining about the transmission shifting too early. Corp flags it and waits for similar reports from other dealers. Once they determine that there is enough reports of the "issue" and they are satisfied it may be affecting a pre-determined number of vehicles they research and engineer an upgrade/reprogram to address it and then test it before releasing the update.

Since this issue is low on the severity scale (Not a safety issue, not a quality of physical part issue (premature failure), not an issue that warrants a recall (usually those issues are TSBs instead) it may take longer than you'd like to address your problem.

That said, they are doing something about it, corp may have been working on it before you even reported it to your dealer. Your usual service writer isn't going to be privy about what the chief super duper engineers in Deutschland are doing/researching.

This stuff doesn't happen overnight.

#24 ·
I am one of the forum members on vwvortex who is unhappy about the transmission. But other than that, I am pretty happy with the quality of the Tiguan.

Below is the latest info I have regarding the transmission update. Looks like it will hopefully not take long until they issue an update for U.S. customers:

Dear Mr. T:

Thank you for your e-mail reply.

I understand Volkswagen of Canada has provided you with details regarding a possible upcoming transmission update for the Tiguan. I regret information such as the details Volkswagen of Canada provided to you is not made available to the Volkswagen of America’s Customer CARE Center.

As stated in my previous e-mail, we are aware that Volkswagen is working on an adjustment for the transmission.

#25 ·
Hope it comes out soon. If the torque converter didn't lock so quickly, the trans would be fine shifting where it does because it wouldn't bog and it would actually accelerate with some balls due to the higher rpms in each gear.

#26 ·
I'm also not too excited with the upshifting at slow speeds on my new 2012 Tiguan S. I do a fair amount of driving from 20 to 45 mph and it seems to be too low RPM and give a slight rumble at times. I think its going into 5th and 6th gear at slow speeds. On the other hand I don't love the sport mode either, it's too "sporty" and doesn't downshift enough. Something in between the two would be best for me so I find myself using the tiptronic a lot more. I think the autoweek article referenced above summarizes it well. I'm planning on bringing this up next time I'm at the dealer for the initial 1 month checkup, but I'm glad to hear it's probably not a problem with just mine, but a general issue that might get "fixed" by software. I wonder how much MPG is saved by having it shift this way?

#27 ·
Adding my vote for the "not so happy" camp about the tranny. Occasionally the rumble/vibration is beyond acceptable and doesn't sound normal. Luckily I do very little city driving.

I remember when I bought my 2012 a few months back there were 2 identical SE models so I test drove them both to see which felt better. One had the rumble very pronounced during my test drive, but I didn't notice it on the one I bought.

What I don't understand is how it comes and goes - some drives it's terrible and others it's not there. It does seem to be getting better with time but I do question the "adaptability" of the car that I've been reading about. Most the time due to traffic/conditions we can't drive how we would like to. Does that mean the car is going to underperform in these circumstances? I sure hope not. I think the process is more of a breaking in of the car than a learning of my habits. I'm at about 2000 miles now.

It could just be that this car doesn't like being driven slow :} I do notice that it's a bit slower off the line now - the first few weeks it was utterly phenomenal.

#29 ·
I spoke to the service manager at my VW dealer today. I had asked him he could hook my car up to the VW tech-line and see if he could download the transmission update that some Canadian customers have received. He told me that there is no fix yet and that any fix will need to be approved by the government before it is released. I have decided that this issue has so negatively affecting the drivability and re-sale value of my car that I am starting a Lemon Law suit against VW.

#30 ·
Good luck. I'd suggest reading PA Lemon laws, your car is not a lemon.

#31 ·
Yeah. Good luck! You seem to have the law suit against car companies down pat.

#32 ·
In PA if the resale value of the car is negatively affected the Lemon Law applies. In my case this is true. I want them to take the car back entirely or fix the problem. Also, please dont tell me that there is no problem. If this were true why was a "fix" released in Canada. My car drives like a dud. I am very disppointed with VW.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.