Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
54K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 ·
I removed some of the panels around the driver's side last night looking for the CECM (I know now I was looking in the wrong place). After I put everything back together and reconnected the battery, I started teh car to move it and noticed the steering wheel indicator light was on and stayed on. I checked VCDS today and saw the following fault
00778 - steering angle sensor (G85)

Did I knock something loose, if so where and is it simple to remedy? Or is this a more serious issue where I have to take the car to the dealer?

#4 ·
The thing that I'm not sure about, I don't think disconnecting the battery throws a code. In all the times I've disconnected the battery, I don't remember it throwing a code when I connect it again.

#5 ·
Thank you gentlemen! Light went out shortly after pulling out of the garage. I guess I didn't go far enough last night.

#6 ·
My '08 Rabbit with 65K miles began displaying the yellow steering wheel icon a couple weeks ago. I can "reboot" my car and it turns off. I have been paying close attention to when it comes on after driving. Usually it is during sharp right turns at slow speeds; typically right turn yields where I downshift to 2nd or 3rd gear, right turns when parking; mostly around 90 degree turns. I can feel in the steering when it disables and about 2 seconds after I feel the spongey steering change is when the light illuminates yellow/amber color. It has yet to turn red. At these same slower sharp turns I hear a sort of groaning.
How long should I let this go on? I'm also still using the factory tires and they are near needing to be replaced at 65K.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

#7 ·
You need to have the dealer scan the steering module. See what is going on. It may be a simple sensor or it may need an entire steering rack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.