Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  amesghali 
#1 ·
So my headlight switch likes to work sometimes and others like last night it doesn't. The marker lights and tail lights come on but the headlights won't work until I wiggle the headlight switch side to side. Then when I did that the dome light stayed on until more wiggling took place. Then when I got home I had to push/pull the switch a few times for them to shut off.

When I pull my brights lever the headlights go off, so maybe some weird wiring from the PO is screwing it up. I imagine it is the solder joints inside the switch, but is there an aftermarket or maybe another VW's switch that would work better? I am definitely going to relay my headlights in a few days, but I want the switch to work or replace it. Thanks.

#2 ·
I had the same issue with my headlight switch years and years ago.

I ended up bypassing the switch and jumpering the Logic chips legs to bypass that part of the switch.
I had to use a Sylvania cross reference to find the pinout of the chip, but then my headlights were on the whole time the keyswitch is on, and off when off.

That switch is hard to come by.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Thank you! I found one on Rockauto.com too.

#5 ·
Hey,

I just got done a restoration on a Caddy. I had all sorts of wiring issues and light switch like yours. I removed the switch and used electronic contact cleaner spray on it. I also used the electronic contact cleaner spray every connection and wiring hands I could get my hands on. All my electronic shorts went away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.