Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
23K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  le0n 
#1 ·
I tried to change the gear oil the other day and I thing that i'm missing something. I have looked all over for info but coming up short. I pulled both 17mm plugs out and didn't get much oil out, only about one liter. So I figured the transmission was super low. I started to refill the transmission using the hole on the front of the case and got less then 1 liter in before it began to pour back out. I read that the 5 speed case takes 1.7 liters, so what am I doing wrong or what did I miss.

Thanks in advanced for an info

#2 ·
i believe you've done everything correctly. it is basically what is posted here: Changing-the-5-speed-transmisison-gear-oil

Fill from the fill plug until fluid starts to run out. Once it starts to drip Squeeze the bottle HARD until the fluid really starts to gush out...then slap the plug back in. The reason for this is that the full level is a bit above the fill plug base. That's it! Super easy.
welcome to the VWOC...

#4 ·
Dont drive you may not have enough fluid in your trans. You have to remove the reverse light switch and fill it from there with a small diameter hose,you can see the switch from the engine bay.
I ran into the same problem as you, I drained out almost 2 litres and could only add .3 of a litre. I was told this tranny is used in another VW and when they put it in the rabbit they put it at a different angle, don't know if it;s true but filling from the switch hole allowed me to fill properly. Good luck with the job.:Ciao:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.