Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 25 replies 2 participants last post by  tybrad 
#1 ·
I previously owned a MK4 Jetta and it was my get somewhere car.

Late July this year- bought my '07 Rabbit with 70K on it. It was stock and became SO fun to drive and be in that I began to fiddle and tweak. I feel 18 again!

Before- stock (exc for the yellow fogs)

After:
With my VCDS I have coded
1. the locks to unlock when the key is removed from the ignition.
2. the windows to go up or down from my remote.
3. the brake lights to go into flash mode when anti-locking is activated.

I have physically added
1. all red interior dome, map, and footwell lighting. The sucker looks like a submarine at night!
2. the Euro headlight switch.
3. yellow fogs.
4. the full radio/cd headunit.
5. a bazooka 6.5 bass tube.
6. white double pinstriping.
7. I cut a section of the shift console to accommodate a dual USB/voltmeter unit.
8. moved the AUX port from the ridiculous glove box location the the handbrake console.
9. added a light sensor so the AUTO setting on the Euro headlight switch functions properly.
10. added the door puddle/convenience lights that were removed in the MKV's for some strange reason. My MK IV Jetta had them.

Within the past week,
Added 100w 6000K low beams and 100W 3000K highs. When I need it, the front is a portable sun!
7000K LED strips mounted in the upper grill which function as DRL's.
Vinyl wrap to make the front and grill distinctive, painted the lower grill to match.
Striping tape on the hood that follow the hood contours to accent the front work.

I'm getting there. I may add a hood bra, still need OEM alloy wheels (the stock 15" moves up to 17").

See less See more
#2 ·
Newest updates

Installed the ECS auto hatch pop kit. Works great!
Installed blue tinted aspheric side view mirrors. This car has a wicked driver's side blind spot. It's gone now.
I am swapping out the reflector fogs with yellow 100w projectors this week. Pics of all forthcoming...

Merry Christmas!

#4 ·
Hay Jay, thanks and sorry?

I am getting this car to where I want it. I put on some 1/4" half-round rubber wheel well strips to alleviate the rain on roof drenching problem- it seems to solve this issue. It is discrete and better looking than the window shields that I had considered. Pics will update today.

#5 ·
As promised, some pics.

The ECS auto-pop hatch kit- works very well, even when cold outside. Recommended. Installation difficulty (1-10): -2

The new location for the glove box AUX. Difficulty level: 1

The door courtesy light installation. Work well. Difficulty level: 3

#7 ·
I'll be getting pics of the roof soon.

The auto pop hatch kit is for hands-free opening (except for fob button pushing).

In the meantime...

Next up- the dual USB/voltmeter install

Looking up the console to the climate controls....

... new knobs. They're really beefy, feel good and add class to the three knobs. They are knurled machined aluminum. AND, the light rings match the radio's.

#8 ·
Next up, my solution to the deluge-off-the-roof-into-the-car problem with water on the roof and windows down. Pep Boys had this. It provides a low-relief wall for rain headed east-west on the roof to be channeled north-south, to front or rear.

In situ...

Alas, it does not work as completely as I'd hoped- I still get some roof drain over the side windows. I do not know why this is not a complete solution! It sits 3/8" tall.

But it is better than without. I will be trying other things out as my mind and weather cooperate.

#11 ·
Next up- I switched out the orange front marker lenses with clear and put 8W8 yellow bulbs in them.

They now match my 8W8 yellow city lights.

I also swapped out the 6000K 100W low beams with standard color Philips +30. They're OK- I like the 6000K look better when set with the 7000K LED DRL strips and/or the 3000K high beams and fogs.

#13 ·
A buddy at work recently bought a '17 GTI. I really like the red lighted inserts in the doors so I had to replicate it in my car. EL strips were the answer.

So I removed the amateurish-looking red striping tape I had put on the dash and door trim strips and put in the EL strips. I want them in the dash trim strips, in the door trim strips (2dr.), the door panels at the floor, and in the rear side trim.

I have the dash strips wired and working. They look more orange here than in person, but they are definitely not as red as the dash lighting. I can live with the small mis-match.

The door strips are in, but not yet wired- I cannot locate ignition-activated wires behind the door card; I tried them all. So I am going to have to take the door skin off and wire through the door harness boot.

I am awaiting another set to place into the rear (wired already to accept them) and the low door.

#16 ·
I finally have all of the EL strips in and ignition/acc'y controlled. The door skin removal/re-fitment thing was a leaning experience though!
Strangely, I found 4.5v and 8.3v in the door wiring, along with 12.8V on all of the time. I checked- the car does not shut those voltages down after the 20mins. So I was forced to wire the door EL's through the door-chassis boot with the other door wiring.

Here it is with everything lit- shot with a fisheye to include it all.

So I lived with this for a week. I have unplugged the two dash strips and living with that a while- to see. I am also still undecided on the rear panel- full as you see it here, or trimmed for just the horizontal or maybe a sideways "J' shape.

#17 ·
... also went back to reflector fogs. Instead of yellow lens paint, I wrapped these and have 100w 3000K bulbs in them. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

The first 100w fogs (very 1st pic) were cheap Chinese ones; the throw pattern was not good- terrible, in fact- and dropped little illumination onto the street.

The second set were the 100w projectors. Again, disappointed for the same reasons. Strange.
One ended up with a major hole and spider crack from a recent road rock strike and need replacement, so....

...These new ones illuminate the road in front of me like a champ. These, I believe, are OEM (VW is stamped in the housing). But they are pretty lightweight and not what I'd expect from VW. Anyway...

Pic forthcoming.

#19 ·
Next up.... new rear fog.

I ran a single conductor wire from pin 7 in my euro switch back to the hot wire on the driver's backup light. Bought a bright 600 lm red led light to go into the fixture.

Now, I still wanted TWO backup lights and the "proper" way to do this sacrifices this backup bulb for fog duty. I have read on here that some have de-rearfogge their car because they almost had a collision in parking lots when backing out.

My solution gives me both bulbs (one white, one red) for backup, and red only for rear fog duty. I got the bulb yesterday and installed after I got home lase eve. Nature provided me the fog this morning.. and it works great! I do not think that I will wire the trigger wire to the CECM for the dash indicator- but maybe...

#25 ·
Oh yes- that ECS armrest? I got a red stitched leather skin for it and a matching new e-brake cover. The skin was for a MK4 armrest so I had some cutting and tucking to do. Nothing that patience, combined with superglue and spray adhesive did not master.

A BIG addition on my next entry... stay tuned!! It pays homage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.