Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
15K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Almost Fantastic 
#1 ·
Today I picked up my plates at the dealership and the secretary told me to go to the service station and they'd install them for me. I gave her a confident "I think I can handle some screwin'. See you later sexy lady. *wink*" To which she replied "Why wait till later?"... Some of my life is "based on a true story."

Anyway, when I got home I found that there are no holes on my front bumper. Is there something I'm missing, or do I have to drill? :(

#2 ·
Uh huh. "Why wait till later"... so you took her home, got all primed up, then couldn't find the hole(s), eh? :p

Yep, you gotta drill. But if you live in a place where you can run without a front plate, highly recommend you do that and avoid the tragedy of drilling into your bunny altogether.

Also, welcome to the ROC! :Ciao:

#8 ·
Yeah I bought my car and it already had the holes drilled in the front with the license plate. It looks terrible so I have to paint the screws and put them back in. I don't have to have a front license plate and if you don't then I definitely agree NOT to drill into your bumper.

#11 ·
Damn,did some one install some rally lights before you bought it. Six is just crazy.

#13 ·
You could buy some of them color matched hole plugs they sell. They don't total take care of your problem but help out a lot.

#14 ·
My I please say do not drill holes in front of your bumper. May I suggest some L brackets. Just drill into the bottom side of your bumper lip and attach the L brakets. Attach the plate through these rather than drilling ugly holes. The holes you drill for the screws will not show if you choose to remove the plate.

#15 · (Edited)
:)

Thanks for the suggestions/help everyone. After a long night of debauchery, I believe I'll follow most of ya'lls (TX here) advice and see if I can make some L brackets that neatly allow me to not drillify my bumper. Thankfully I've got access to tools, sheetmetal, time, and most importantly willpower. Pics to follow... hopefully!

Edit: I just watched the vid of the hide away plate holder... that's pretty slick.

#16 ·
Hide Away update

Update on the hide away plate install last night. It worked pretty well with some modification to the generic install instructions. However, for $60 I'd definitely try the L brackets first. For the price, I wish the plate holder was a little less flimsy but it's definitely better than drilling the bumper. No pics because I was short on time. I'll try to post some this weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.