Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Mk1Shaka 
#1 ·
Hello all. I've been searching online and I'm having trouble finding a roof rack for my rabbit. I really like the old school style thats common on beetles and buses, with wood panels on the bottom if possible. Anyone know a good site to buy one of these from? I'm also going to need to replace the clutch soon and have found a ton of options and would appreciate recommendations/advice for the replacement as well as installation. Thanks in advance.

1980 Rabbit 1.5L Diesel 4dr

#2 ·
Moved to the more proper forum.

I used to buy a new set of roof racks every time I headed to Alabama from Illinois, I think I gave about 5 of them away over the years....

They used to make a set of rails that clamped on to the Rain gutters, but they didn't have the old school beetle look. I am thinking that you may need to try mid america motors, or jbugs to get a old school and you will have to modify it a bit.

Others have made their own and they looked really sharp. I just never bothered to same the link as a bookmark.

I usually bought a HD Sachs kit for my rabbits over the years. But the Diesel had one clutch change at 150K and I sold it at 330K it didn't need a clutch then.

For my 90 Cabriolet, I bought a HD Sachs kit including the alignment disk, I had the flywheel turned.

I would suggest that you will also need a rear Cap (green) for the RElease bearing as well as buying a new clutch finger. If your cable is old you may want to buy one of those as well as the new rubber bits to mount it. That way you will not have to worry about it for 60-100 thousand mile or more depending on driving habits.

Reactions: Mk1Shaka
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.