EGR - The Emissions Issue
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: EGR - The Emissions Issue

New Member 13passatTDI is a jewel in the rough 13passatTDI's Avatar
    Thanks

EGR - The Emissions Issue

New to the forum, wanted some outside prospective. Recently had 60k mile service performed on my 2013 Passat TDI SE. 1,000 miles later began receiving MIL and CEL. Root cause, EGR is mis-firing, or more specifically, opening when it should not and eventually sticking itself closed.

Removed high pressure EGR hose, cleaned, and reassembled. At idle, EGR remains closed. Touch the throttle, EGR opens but it shouldn't unless you give it full throttle. Able to hear the clicking as it opens at low RPM. While driving, EGR will close, and stay closed, causing the MIL and CEL. Any thoughts?

EGR was the piece used to fool the emissions testing into giving a false reading. I'm wondering, if when I took it in for service some EGR settings may have been changed causing it to malfunction. Again, it is able to function and clean but moving at the incorrect time and remaining closed.

Any insight for a newbie would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: EGR - The Emissions Issue

The EGR is open under throttle, and should be closed at wide open throttle. The only reason you would have to clean the EGR system is if your DPF has cracked and is passing soot. They are electronically controlled. Mine is disconnected, and you are fine unless your state does emissions tests. Soot in the system will gum it up.

+ Reply to Thread