Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Bajaralph 
#1 ·
Have just 100 miles on my new GTI with manual transmission and after I back up in reverse, the car intermittently stays in reverse gear after shifting from reverse to first, second or third gear. The VW service manager told me he has never seen this problem.

#4 ·
My new and first 2016 GTI does the same thing, & it is somewhat of a driving hazard. After backing up, I shift out of reverse. Then I move the lever left & right to make sure that I am in Neutral. When I shift into what I think is
First Gear and ease off of the clutch the car backs up, because the gearshift lever did not "pop up" after shifting out of Reverse. Consequently, when I shift to First, the lever goes back into Reverse. It has done this app. 20 times since August. My first service visit for the 10,000 mile oil change, etc. is Wed., Feb. 22. Perhaps the gearshift mechanism needs to be lubricated or a new spring or other device installed to prevent this problem. I'm not sure if VW has sent the dealers a Service Bulletin on this . . . hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.