Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
6K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Chris135 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

First post here. Need some help. I bought a VW CC 177bhp yesterday and I only noticed today when in neutral a strange rubbing noise can be heard from inside the car (not outside) I uploaded a video of the sound hope fully you can make it out and someone has an idea of what it is? or if its normal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYN61e2Chso its louder when sat in the car in silence.

Thanks

D

#3 ·
it's really difficult to know what's going on in the video.

is there a certain part of the video where it is the most prevalent?

throw us a time interval.

i can hear a low-to-medium pitch cyclic noise throughout the entire video and it doesn't change speeds when you rev the engine, but i don't know if that is the sound you're referring too.

#8 ·
hmm. i wonder if it is a pump working. fuel pump or sai pump?

how many miles are on the engine?

it could be something like a loose exhaust clamp too that is allowing one part of the system to vibrate to sound like a rubbing sound.

it may need to be inspected from the underside while the engine is on.

#9 ·
That's exactly what I was thinking, it could be a pump. Like I haven't driven it in a few hours, if I were to go out now and start it up I wouldn't be able to make out that noise. Only after a bit of driving.

There's only 64k miles on the clock, well looked after and I brought it to a garage just after purchasing the car they said it's all looking good. But I didn't pay attention to that noise before the test only after :(

#12 ·
what transmission do you have?

could this be transmission noise?

i'd throw a stethoscope around the engine bay to locate the noise. these auto stethoscopes can be purchased for less than $10 and are real useful for locating noise culprits.

it comes with a long rod for probing.

http://www.harborfreight.com/mechanics-stethoscope-69913.html
Hey Leon,

I sat just now listening to it, pump or grinding noise. I slowly Rev the engine in neutral and the sound get slightly faster with the Rev?

#16 ·
i'm at a loss here.

it can be anything; possibly the transmission if the sound speeds up with the engine revs.

while it is having the symptom, you or someone really has to jack up the car safely and get under there to listen for the specific noise.

luckily, it does it in neutral and you should be able to pin point it while the vehicle is not moving.

with your time limit on the warranty, i'd get under there, even if meant having a shop put it on the lift for an inspection. it may cost you a few dollars if you don't have the tools, but it may save you a few dollars down the road if you can get something covered with your limited warranty.

also, do not get it checked at the shop you purchased it from.

hopefully it's just a worn mount or something simple.

in for updates.

#19 ·
Hi guys,

First post here. Need some help. I bought a VW CC 177bhp yesterday and I only noticed today when in neutral a strange rubbing noise can be heard from inside the car (not outside) I uploaded a video of the sound hope fully you can make it out and someone has an idea of what it is? or if its normal.

its louder when sat in the car in silence.

Thanks

D
Hello I’ve got the same problem with my car a 2013 plate VW PASSAT I was wondering if you managed to find out what it was ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.