Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  781rabbid83 
#1 ·
on my 83 5speed 1.7 rabbit convertible 3rd gear grinds if your at a higher rpm as if you decide to take off like a rocket from a dead stop or if your on the highway, if your city driving and let the rpm drop down before you switch from 2nd to 3rd its none existent. is it clutch cable, clutch itself or tranny is screwed.:confused:

#2 ·
Grind on shift is usually a clutch adjustment, or your clutch is dieing.

I would advise you to take it easy as it could also be a sign that your syncros aren't meshing right.

So adjust the cable, and if that fails how old is your clutch as in how many miles....
If you answered I DON"T KNOW.... or you have over 130K on it, you may want to change it.
I am not aggressive on my car, as it isn't a Racer... so I can get 130 to 150K on a clutch before I have to change it.

So if there is no grind between 3rd and 4th or 5th, then I would think syncros....

www.brokevw.com Brian (not I) is the tranny guru.

ps, you are supposed to ease off the gas on a shift.....

I would also suggest replacing your linkages and bushings, replacing the rear tranny mount and possible adjusting your shifters with the cassette case trick. www.cabby-info.com..

Reactions: 781rabbid83
#3 ·
yup no history on how old the clutch and cable are, recently had the shifter bushings replaced and thats how i discovered that i had 5speeds and not 4 lol, im certainly not redlining the car but i dont drive like a granny eather lol, this is the 2nd month of driving this car and discovering all of it quirks since i brought it home dead on a tow truck, once ive noticed this issue i definitely drive it easy, i just havent posted the problem. Sounds like its time to add more money lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.