VW Rabbit Forum " Traded my 240 for a rabbit/ help lol." Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Traded my 240 for a rabbit/ help lol.

Junior Member Malevolent is a jewel in the rough Malevolent's Avatar
    Thanks

Traded my 240 for a rabbit/ help lol.

Hey guys, my name is Jake. I had this 240 FS/Trade and I traded for a 2007 Rabbit. Probably not the greatest decision I've ever made but hey, that's life. It's got 141 k on it.

I mainly joined to learn more about the car and I was hoping you guys could help me diagnose some issues.

The main problem with the car is that sometimes when I give it full throttle it will start bucking and slowing down. This is kind of scary when I'm trying to merge on the interstate and the car starts spazzing out. If I downshift and let of the gas I can usually get it to at least slowly speed up. Any help with that would be appreciated.

The car has a check engine light for "secondary air pump" and also has a minor oil leak somewhere in the front. I have replaced the 02 sensor because I had a cel for that and it went away. The car is missing the air filter I just noticed, I'm not sure how much that would affect anything.

Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Thanks

Re: Traded my 240 for a rabbit/ help lol.

Sounds like a need a Spulen air pump delete kit.

Thanks

Anyone? Any input is good. Some of you guys have had to have some similar problems. I tried searching but couldn't come up with much.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Research the vacuum pump delete kit. I believe it's from Spulen too. That's most likely where your oil leak is. The tutorials (on Vortex) can tell you where to look for this evidence.

As far as the air filter missing, please upload a photograph of your engine bay. It definitely needs an air filter to function properly.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

6. The Following User Says Thank You to le0n For This Useful Post:

Malevolent(03-08-2016)

Thanks

This thing feels like it has absolutely no power now. It sounds all loud all of a sudden and vibrating a lot when I start it/rev/drive. Could the vacuum pump cause this much of an issue? Almost seems like I'm missing a cylinder or have a more major issue here. Problem is I came from Nissans and Hondas and I've never had a VW before so I'm not sure where to start. Ugh.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

If you truly have a vacuum leak, it will run like crap.

Scan for error codes again now that it has a different behavior.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to le0n For This Useful Post:

Malevolent(03-08-2016)

Thanks

Alright I will scan it after work tomorrow and post the results. Thanks for trying to help.

Thanks

P2279 "Air system leak, check for vacuum leaks.
    P0411 "Secondary air injection system incorrect flow detected, explanation: faulty air combination valve, probable cause: faulty air solenoid valve, faulty air pump motor.
    P050A "Cold start idle air control performance, explanation: The ecm has detected an idle air flow rate less than the calibrated limit, probable cause: vacuum leak, damaged air duct hose, faulty idle air control unit, restricted air intake system, engine mechanical condition."
    P0303 "Cylinder 3 misfire condition, explanation: vacuum leak on engine, probable cause: ignition system fault, fuel injector fault, engine mechanical condition."
    P0301 "Cylinder 1 misfire condition, etc.

Thanks

Thanks

Got some pictures of the intake system coming. Car feel like a 3 cyl right now.

Thanks

I tried to post some pictures in here, it said they needed to be approved by moderators. Still not seeing them.

Update on the car, something near the cat broke/blew off. The car feels way faster now so the exhaust/cat must have been clogged.

Some of the CELs were probably from that, although I probably have multiple issues.

Still taking advice.

Coming from Nissans and SR20 motors, I have to say these forum are pretty slow and quiet.

Thanks

So I still have this beater. The flex pipe was jacked up and causing air flow to be restricted. I put aftermarket down-pipe on it, and now it drives decent. I still have a **** ton of cels though and I can't pass emissions! Going to post the current ones tomorrow when I get the car re-scanned.

Thanks

i'll look out for the new codes, however, in regards to the air filter, did you ever remove and inspect it to see what it looks like? note, if you haven't figured it out by now, the air filter is attached to the underneath of the large plastic cover with the 2.5/VW emblem. you should be able to easily see light through the element when you place it in front of the sun/sky.

and that flexible duct between the throttle body and MAF sensor needs to be inspected for cracks. it is a suspect location for post-MAF air intake leaks.

clean the throttle body while you have it open. all that is needed is a clean rag and some throttle body cleaner. you just push the butterfly valve open to get to all of the areas. the important ones are where the butterfly meets the walls.

unless you got the extension bung for the aftermarket downpipe, you'll get some new codes for the o2 sensor readings. these are usually coded-out via a performance tune, but most of the time you can just add the extender.

Thanks

I'm going to change the air filter and the spark plugs this weekend.
    I only have one code so far (I just reset my ecu a few days ago.)

P0420: Catalyst system efficiency below threshold bank 1,
    faulty cat, rich air/fuel ratio, air leak near H02S, faulty fuel control H02S.

Thanks

^^ that could be from the downpipe.

+ Reply to Thread