VW Rabbit Forum " DIY: 2.5L MKV MAP Sensor Cleaning (P0106)" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: DIY: 2.5L MKV MAP Sensor Cleaning (P0106)

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

DIY: 2.5L MKV MAP Sensor Cleaning (P0106)

Just a few quick shots to show a possible fix for the P0106 code.

There's another thread I have that discusses the reasoning behind what I'm going to show here. It's been 70k+ miles since I've cleaned this. The error code has been gone the entire time.

Anyway, remove the necessary components to allow access to the throttle body.

Remove the harness clip from the bottom of the throttle body:

Remove the four screws that hold the throttle body to the intake manifold:

(Do not remove the vacuum hose from the top of the throttle body. Once the screws are off, just move the throttle body out of the way and rest it on the intake manifold.)

Here's a shot of the intake plenum with the oil pooled in the bottom of it:

Now remove this little clip by pulling up on it to allow the harness to move away from the MAP Sensor:

Once it is out of the way, you'll be able to put a driver in there and remove the one torx screw that holds the sensor in place:

Freshly removed sensor:

Here is the MAP sensor after I wiped the oil off of it:

(Note the bead of oil still on the probe)

I took a clean napkin and held it behind the sensor and shot it with compressed air:

(it had more oil than i thought it did)

Here is the cleaned sensor:

Back to the intake. I took a clean sock and flipped it inside out. It seems to have more oil grabbing abilities this way, hah hah:

Push it in all of the cracks and crevices with the help of a short small stick to soak up any oil that has made its way in to the intake:

Here is the result of that step. I put the other clean sock for reference.

Side one:

(The light brown is the free oil that was sitting in there. the black is just light carbon dust)

Side two:

Oil pooled on the base of the sensor port:

Push a rolled napkin in the port to clean it out:

Oil removed:

Here is a shot of my throttle body. It's freaking filthy. For the sake of this experiment, I chose to leave it dirty to see if the intake cleaning alone will rid the P0106 code. If all is good after a 1,000 miles or so, I'll open it up and clean the throttle body.

That's about it. Reassemble everything and then clear any error codes.

Good luck.
    Last edited by le0n; 02-14-2016 at 05:16 PM.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: DIY: 2.5L MKV MAP Sensor Cleaning (P0106)

update: it's been over 1k miles and the error code has not surfaced again.

Thanks

that cleaning i did only lasted 6k miles before the light came back on, so i went back to clean some more.

ok. i got in there and removed the hose that goes to the PCV. you have to remove the throttle body to get this off.

this much oil was in the port and area immediately around the PCV hose port on the inside of the plenum:

the other corner of the napkin was from cleaning the port at the PCV. not much came out of there. the smaller scrunched napkin is from cleaning the MAP sensor and MAP sensor port.

i took the hose inside and washed it with water until the water ran clean. it still smelled of hydrocarbons, so i put the water to extremely hot and also put dishwashing liquid inside the hose. i held a bit of hot water in the hose by putting my thumbs over both ends. i agitated it for a few seconds and then ran hot water through it. the water ran brown for a second, so i knew it freed some old oil in there. i repeated a second time and it released another layer of oil. the third time i did it, no oil came out, only clean soapy water.

peeked in there again to see what oil was in there. it's been about 7k miles, i think, maybe a bit more:

anyway, cleaned it again, this time really focusing on the areas around the MAP sensor port and the PCV hose port:

i also removed the MAP sensor and cleaned it and the port area once again, then re-installed everything.

oh yeah, i cleaned the throttle body this time too.

so the code was still off from last week, so no need for me to clear any codes.

i'm hoping this will go 10k miles without throwing the CEL again.

i can say that it is definitely cleaner than the last cleaning i gave it.

i'll report back.

New Member wobbletop is a jewel in the rough wobbletop's Avatar
    Thanks

Is the P0106 code still gone?

I did a cleaning of the MAP sensor and throttle body using MAP sensor cleaner. The code came back within a day.

The dealer has said they programmed the ECU that was supposed to adjust the sensor value range. They now suggest changing the sensor AND the wiring harness.

Is there a source for a new wiring harness? The sensor is fairly cheap so I will replace that.

Thanks!

Thanks

Yes. It's still off. Not sure how many miles or has been since. Estimate 2k miles per month.

Check your sensor for oil again. I've never had to replace anything, only cleanings.

The software works for some people and nor for others (google and read about it).

If you've cleaned just like I've shown then it should rid the code.

Check it again and report back.

Good luck.

New Member JerryLtowIt is a jewel in the rough JerryLtowIt's Avatar
    Thanks

Thank you for taking the time. Good stuff!

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Guru Member 2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute2013Tdi has a reputation beyond repute 2013Tdi's Avatar
    Thanks

Lots of oil in the PCV system means you're getting a lot of blow-by.

Install a catch can in line with the PCV to collect the blow-by oil.
    Keeps it out of the intake as well. Use a good baffled catch can,
    not a cheap eBay catch can that has nothing in it to separate the
    oil from the vapor.

Thanks

Did another cleaning... code came back after four days this time. I haven't checked the intake yet.

So I'm thinking too much oil getting into the intake. The oil level seemed low for having just had a recent service. Would a defective PCV throw a code? Do I need to do a compression/leakdown test?

I have a replacement MAP sensor, but I don't think it's defective. I was able to see the value change using Torque app.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wobbletop View Post
    Did another cleaning... code came back after four days this time. I haven't checked the intake yet.
    by 'cleaning' you mean the MAP sensor only? follow the diy exactly and see if you get different results.

yes. too much oil drops out over time, however, just clean it.

catch cans help, however, they are a little pricey and won't stop it from eventually happening.

Thanks

No, not just the sensor. Throttle body was cleaned spotless and used a rag to wipe out the intake through the throttle body port. I also took off the pcv hose and ran brake cleaner through that and dried it with compressed air.

I'm not going to install a catch can for the car. Too expensive.

Thanks

oh, ok.

check for oil in the plenum again and MAP sensor again.

if they're clean, you may need a new/used throttle body. i'd test it's operation in vagcom before looking to swap.

vehicle/year/mileage?

i'm guessing the engine is running smoothly (power, idle, mpg, etc.)?

Thanks

Update...
    I haven't touched the car but the code went away and hasn't returned. It's my wife's daily driver. I'll monitor the oil level and report if the code comes back.

2012 Golf 2.5 w/ about 140K km. Car seems to run fine but my wife says it does seem like it's a bit underpowered than before (take that with a grain of salt).

+ Reply to Thread