Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  francisbijo 
#1 ·
I have recently brought a Passat CC.
It comes with Bluetooth my iPhone 6 doesn't connect because it says it's incompatible. I have read this could be because the Bluetooth module is an old one and doesn't support my phone. Is it just a case of updating the module plug and play or will I need to code anything.

#2 ·
Hi Danny, I am new to the forum. I have been bothered by the same concern that you have. Which model year is your CC?
I too tried to connect my G4 and my wife's iPhone to the head unit in my car (2009 CC 3.6) and received the same message 'telephone incompatible.' This is because for the head unit that I have, requires what is known as an rSAP Bluetooth Profile. This profile allows the car head unit to "borrow" the SIM in your telephone). When connected through rSAP, your telephone will no more be receiving telephone signals, but the car uses its communication leads to make and receive calls. Once disconnected from the car, the phone starts using the SIM as normal. Not many telephone units have this Bluetooth profile. As far as I know, most Blackberry units have it. So I am now using my BB Passport, instead of my G4. I am informed that the more recent model years in VW allows Bluetooth connections without an rSAP. There are however ways to "listen" callers on the other end of your telephone through the car's builtin speakers. USB gadgets that could connect to the mobile telephone through standard Bluetooth and relay the voice to the car's head unit through a dedicated FM channel, or simply plugging in your telephone headphones out to the car's AUX-IN are options. But these will not allow you to make and receive calls through the steering controls or the head unit. Another option is to upgrade the head unit. But that would obviously cost money.
On android telephones, there is the option to install what is called rSAP drivers. This will require 'rooting' your telephone (if you have advanced knowledge of working with your telephone as what they call as Super User). There is this risk however, that the rooting process could end up bricking your phone, and I am informed that it could also void your telephone warranty.
I hope this answers your question.
Enjoy your CC. Its a great car

#3 ·
Many VW head units require a profile called rSAP available in your telephone. I had this problem with my iPhone. Switched to a Blackberry. It connects. There could be other options like upgrading your Bluetooth receiver for your head unit. Sorry, I have no info on that. good luck

#4 ·
Didn't tell us what model radio you have.
Didn't tell us what year the CC is...

rSAP is all models with Bluetooth hands free PREMIUM; from Model Year 2011.
The module in those cars have additional HFP protocol, this gives the option to
support mobiles with SAP functionality, minimal functionality only use of Car
Speaker and Microphone. Not some, ALL 2011+

These issues started with IOS 8, so it's apple's inept ability to keep compatibility.

There has been some success fixing iOS 8.0.2’s Bluetooth issues by resetting
all iPhone settings. To do this, open Settings and go to General >> Reset >> Reset All Settings.
This will basically reset your iPhone to factory, so back anything up you need. I don't
think it will erase apps and their data...

On the Reset screen, you'll have a number of options for removing your iPhone's content.

Reset All Settings - This deletes all of your preference settings, returning them to the defaults.
It will not erase any of your data or apps.

Erase All Content and Settings - If you want to fully delete your iPhone's data, this is the option
to choose. When you tap this, you'll not only erase all of your preferences, you'll also delete all
music, movies, apps, and other data from your phone.

Reset Network Settings - To return your wireless network settings to their factory default states, tap this.

Reset Keyboard Dictionary - Want to remove all the custom words and spellings you've added to your
phone's dictionary/spellchecker? Tap this option.

Reset Home Screen Layout - To undo all of the folders and app arrangements you may have created
and return your iPhone's layout to its default state, tap this.

Reset Location Warnings - Each app that uses the iPhone's GPS to be location aware asks your
permission to use your location. To reset all of those warnings to their default off state, select this.

May work for a day, lose phone connectivity, but not media...

I will never, EVER own an iPhone, or any apple device that has "i" in front of it...

Never had connection problems with any Android device, even after updates.
I hate the iPhone, with a passion... You pay for the name, it works till they
update it, and don't retain compatibility. AND? They don't care, at all...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.