Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  _erwin_ 
#1 ·
:confused: My 2010 Tiguan 2.0TSI 4Motion has been misfiring,with sluggish acceleration ,and high fuel consumption. Check engine(exhaust) light on the dash and recently when misfire became too much EPC light up.
After checking it they said that the Catalytic converter is fully clogged and there is a lot of carbon build up.some suggested cleaning it while others replacing it. i already cleaned it at 100k KM and it became clogged at 120k and at 129 it became too much.

one of my friends suggested removing the converter entirely since it serves no purpose other than ecological/pollution one. I know it's a bad idea but i am wondering how would that influence the engine and the overall performance of my Tiguan if i were to do that?

PS: I know its terrible for the environment and the emissions would be crazy high.

#3 ·
I'm not sure the resolution but I have the same car and have a similar issue. I had the engine light flash for 5 seconds then turn off then drove for a day and it turned on again for another 5 seconds.

I've also noticed that my Tiguan is guzzling the fuel! I've only owned it for 2 days... Not a good sign. What are you thinking of doing?

#4 ·
I also have the same thing...after putting it on scanner they told me i should replace my catalytic converter.
What i did currently is remove my Catalytic converter,90% of misfire and sluggish acceleration is gone and my Tiguan feels way lighter it shifts gears faster now and has an overall better performance.
In addition i put a bottle of a chemical in the fuel reservoir(forgot its name), it helps clean up the engine/exhaust/Cata Conv/ and even the O2 sensors from carbon build up and overall dirt.

I live in a country where we don't have any industrial waste or pollution so they do not care about emissions.

Also the scanner indicated that the EPC light was on because 2 of my spark plugs were old, and it's getting really cold here like 2C or 0C. haven't replaced the plugs yet but i have been told that my higher fuel consumption and light misfire is caused by them.

#5 ·
Sorry to hear. Same symptom here. Not resolved. Misfiring, usually after a cold start in this moist weather. Engine light on, then eventually EPC light on. Car goes into a limp-home mode; safer for the car maybe but downright dangerous when it happens while on the highway. Been to dealer 3 times, last time was 2 weeks ago, they still have my car. First it was said to be bad gas. Third time they looked again and discovered an oil screen in the cam timing bridge that had broken (?!). They say they put in a brand new cam shaft and bits, new injectors, etc., and then test drove it. Still misfiring, on all cylinders randomly. So far all under warranty. Dealership has been nice about everything, including loaner car. Today I'm told the district factory service rep authorized them to order a new cylinder head. Gonna be another week and a half to get it and swap it in. Pardon the rambling, but it has me worried about the long term reliability of the fix, and will my catalytic converter now be fouled up beyond repair. How long do the dealerships usually warranty their service work when it's this extensive?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.