Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Loadtoad 
#1 ·
So here's the issue.. I have a 2010 cc, I believe the sport edition. It's a 4 cylinder, automatic transmission.. The car has run great since buying it, kept up on all my service appointments except the most recent one, I'm about 8k miles over my oil change (I know, that's bad, just haven't had the time to get in). I regularly put premium fuel in it, but the last couple times have been regular, and I put regular in at various times throughout owning the vehicle. Without going outside in the cold I would guess I now have around 86k or 87k miles or so give or take a couple. Yesterday I drove to work everything was fine. The car sat outside in single digits all day and when I went to start it up, the CEL came on. It's not blinking but just staying on. I noticed that it sounded as if it were misfiring, and the vehicle would rev up a bit when idling, then go back down, then rev up and go back down. never revved up over 1500rpm when idling, but was noticeable. When I got on the highway, and even driving low speeds through town, the car drives/drove just fine. I only noticed an issue when idling. Once I got home, I ran up to Advanced Auto parts to read the codes. It spit out quite a few, which I expected a few of them (since I'm late to servicing). The ones though I thought it might be since it felt like it were the misfires. It showed all cylinders were misfiring, and also read an air control reading. Now would this all be showing up because A) my car has been sitting out in these sudden cold temps B)The low octane I've been putting in has finally come to roost and can be corrected by placing higher in or C) Spark plug issues? I've read through different threads that mention a carbon build up on other model VW's, but can't find anything specific with cc's. Any thought's would be appreciated. And when you answer, I already know I'm a dumbass for going over the oil change and using the low octane when it calls for higher.

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not gonna blame you man for putting regular or going over your oil change interval but please get the oil changed ASAP with quality oils like Liqui Moly or Motul Asap. Have your spark plugs ever been changed? And have you ever cleaned your intake from carbon deposits? All EA888 TSI engines 1st version and 2ND update as well as previous FSI engines are affected by carbon buildup regardless. I also never run regular in a turbo engine, it's just not worth it, get some Exxon gas which is best or next best Shell for the next few tanks.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

#3 ·
I appreciate the response. Spark plugs are original, and I've never had the intake cleaned. The only issue I'm having is at idle, and a small drop in gas mileage right now. I travel 60-70 miles on the highway a day at 80mph, and 3-4 miles in town. I have an appointment at the VW dealership on Tuesday so they can take a look, change the oil etc.. I have noticed that running it a little harder actually is helping with the idle issue and the misfires aren't as bad as that first day, but they are still there (worse on a cold start up, better after warming up). Besides this issue the car has overall been good, other than finding out the cc quirks I didn't know before buying like tire cupping, light replacements... Making sure premium is always put in, good oil is used were things I knew I should be doing, but now I need to add on watching the carbon buildup and routine intake cleaning will just have to be all part of the maintenance I will have to keep doing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.