VW Rabbit Forum " 30K Mile Service Question" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 30K Mile Service Question

New Member foxbat2500 is a jewel in the rough foxbat2500's Avatar
    Thanks

30K Mile Service Question

Hi guys,

Looking for a little advice. My 2006 Rabbitt 2.5 is due for its scheduled 30K mile service. Its bascially an oil change and tire rotation. The local dealer wants $140 for the service. Worth it? or should I Jiffy Lube it and have them use the syntetic oil.

One small factor is that the out light indicator is on. I must have a tail light out somewhere, but I can't see it. Not sure if Jiffy Lube or a local shop will be able to fix that.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member S3aturnR is just really nice S3aturnR's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by foxbat2500 View Post
    Hi guys,

Looking for a little advice. My 2006 Rabbitt 2.5 is due for its scheduled 30K mile service. Its bascially an oil change and tire rotation. The local dealer wants $140 for the service. Worth it? or should I Jiffy Lube it and have them use the syntetic oil.

One small factor is that the out light indicator is on. I must have a tail light out somewhere, but I can't see it. Not sure if Jiffy Lube or a local shop will be able to fix that.

Thanks
    if you're doing ONLY an oil change and tire rotation, consider doing the work yourself. it's not terribly difficult and can be done in your driveway.

approved oil and new filter runs about $56 on average if you buy it yourself at a local auto zone.

not sure how much tire rotation costs, but if it was more than about $20, i'd do it myself or find another shop.

that's $76, before labor and taxes. add about another 25% or so for that and you're in the neighborhood of what you probably should pay for that service. my fuzzy math indicates about $95 for service.

DON'T take the car to a local "quick lube" place. they will almost certainly use oil that is NOT volkswagen approved. the 2 readily available brands in the U.S. are: mobil1 0w40 and castrol syntec 5w40. i'll wager that jiffy lube has never heard of these oils...

s3aturnr

the 3 is silent...

Peach Tea Chugging Mo-Fo
    russdawg24 has a reputation beyond repute russdawg24 has a reputation beyond repute russdawg24 has a reputation beyond repute russdawg24's Avatar
    Washington, PA (Just south of Pittsburgh)
    Thanks
    Yah, for the love of your rabbit, don't take it to jiffylube or walmart or any quick changes. You are asking for trouble. If you don't do it yourself, take it to the dealer....it's definately worth it.

Senior Member b0bbyhimself is a jewel in the rough b0bbyhimself's Avatar
    Thanks
    an ex co worker of mine was a car guy and helped me out with the tire rotation and oil change at 10k service. one question i have. what do you do with the old oil? he used to work at jiffy lube so he said it just takes the old oil there in the middle of the night and they have to take it. kinda messed up i know and i dont wanna do that. =X

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Take it toyour local dealer. They MUST take waste oil by LAW.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Guru Member S3aturnR is just really nice S3aturnR's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by b0bbyhimself View Post
    an ex co worker of mine was a car guy and helped me out with the tire rotation and oil change at 10k service. one question i have. what do you do with the old oil? he used to work at jiffy lube so he said it just takes the old oil there in the middle of the night and they have to take it. kinda messed up i know and i dont wanna do that. =X
    i take mine to auto zone. they have an oil recycle tank. usually, they limit trips to 5 gallons or less, but when i do my spring cleaning i send over the wifey in some short-shorts and we've never had a problem. she even talks them into unloading it from her car most of the time...

s3aturnr

the 3 is silent...

Still Plays with Cars
    MK5CNY is a glorious beacon of light MK5CNY's Avatar
    Thanks
    I agree with S3aturnR $56 typical, and buy a jack and some stands for tire rotation in the driveway/garage. Also, Nitro turned me onto Castrol 0W-30 European blend only (meets latest VW spec). It doesn't break down under heat or load. The Mobil1 did, I didn't like it at all. Lots of valves tapping by the time I got to Myrtle beach this last spring.
    His: 07 MK5 CW 4dr,std: Rabbit bump vinyls, 18" RML Snowflakes w/ 215/40/18 Falken 912's, K&N airfilter
    Hers: 08 MK5 Salsa Jetta 4dr, Tiptronic: Hankook Ventus V4 ES on 16" MUGELLO's
    Daughter's: 98 MK3 GTi Black/Chalkboard Roof: Streetline Cupkit, BFI Chip-SAI delete, Magnaflow, 16" Borbet Type T's w/ Falken 512's

DaVisionz
    Quote Originally Posted by MK5CNY View Post
    I agree with S3aturnR $56 typical, and buy a jack and some stands for tire rotation in the driveway/garage. Also, Nitro turned me onto Castrol 0W-30 European blend only (meets latest VW spec). It doesn't break down under heat or load. The Mobil1 did, I didn't like it at all. Lots of valves tapping by the time I got to Myrtle beach this last spring.
    is that "Castrol 0W-30 Euro blend" a full synthetic, confuses me with the use of the word "blend"

Still Plays with Cars
    MK5CNY is a glorious beacon of light MK5CNY's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaVisionz View Post
    is that "Castrol 0W-30 Euro blend" a full synthetic, confuses me with the use of the word "blend"
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/LubesSelector.do

I'm not sure if it's the blend or not since it's in my garage, and I'm at work...but it's the black bottle of oil that says European Formula 0W-30, recommended by Nitro in another thread.

http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...hlight=castrol
    His: 07 MK5 CW 4dr,std: Rabbit bump vinyls, 18" RML Snowflakes w/ 215/40/18 Falken 912's, K&N airfilter
    Hers: 08 MK5 Salsa Jetta 4dr, Tiptronic: Hankook Ventus V4 ES on 16" MUGELLO's
    Daughter's: 98 MK3 GTi Black/Chalkboard Roof: Streetline Cupkit, BFI Chip-SAI delete, Magnaflow, 16" Borbet Type T's w/ Falken 512's

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Castrol 0w-30 is also known as German Castrol, or European forumula. It's 100% full s ynthetic with Group 4 and 5 base stocks. Mobil 1 uses Group 3 base stocks and that is NOT true synthetic, it's a REALLY refined mineral oil. Mobil used to be good, but now they slacked. I have used oil tests that show castrol beats mobil in my applications.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Senior Member danelio is a jewel in the rough danelio's Avatar
    Thanks
    DO NOT GO TO JIFFY LUBE TO WORK ON A EUROPEAN CAR THAT REQUIRES SYNTEC. maybe if its a POS and you don't care about it. don't trust Jiffy, that place is a joke.

I'm broke
    Thanks
    I'm a little sad the local jiffy lubes stopped working on our vehicles. We no longer make money on replacing stripped oil pans anymore! Last year we had some 200 claims in a months time from jiffy lube customers. The rep came down to our dealer and told us that Jiffy lube here will no longer work on vw's.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video