VW Rabbit Forum " steering rack replacement" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: steering rack replacement

Junior Member zorro17 is a jewel in the rough zorro17's Avatar
    Thanks

steering rack replacement

Hi everybody, I have a 93 manual, Cabriolet and I need to replace the steering rack (with power steering). does anybody have a good step by step instructions?
    Also, can anybody send me a link a picture of what the AC compressor cable should look like? my car has a connection from the AC compressor to the alternator that it doesn't look right. Thank you all for your help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: steering rack replacement

Answered in your thread in the older rabbit forum.
    You don't have to double post. And only about 2 minutes different posting from the other.
    Now I am sorry that no one answered you before now, while sometimes I can be johnny on the spot. There are times like today that my time is used for other things than Cabbies.

You have a Manual transmission.
    You have power steering.

There are power steering racks for autos and manual transmissions, they are not the same be sure that you order correctly.

Now go to your other thread to read more about it.

It is a PITA, there is no other way to describe it. There are harder jobs, but the list of things to do upside down on your back don't get much better than this. Plan on up to 6hours the first time, more if you decide not to remove the tie-rod ends, or better to remove the inners with the outers, as you have 3 times the clearance.

Yes, you will remove the rear transmission mount, and the linkages from the rack to the tranny, as well as the down pipe. Keep a plastic bag handy to tie-wrap to the hoses to prevent the steady drip drip drip of ps fluid.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to briano1234 For This Useful Post:

zorro17(12-02-2015)

Thanks

Thank you. I was not sure if the old was going to be seen so I created a new thread, my apologies. I follow your instructions and was able to get everything out but the steering Colum is giving me a hard time. after I remove it tonight I will be sending it to a company to get refurbished. during that time I will be changing all the bushings on the shifter links.
    On a different note. You mentioned once that is good idea to change the throttle screw O-ring if you can hand tighten it all the way in? What is the best way to adjust it once I get the O-ring?
    Again, thank you for your help, and my apologies for the re-threading.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

If you can turn the Idle By-Pass screw by hand then the o-ring is bad.
    Count the turns that it takes to remove it. Replace the o-ring and then return it to the same count.
    Screw it to the stop you usually have to back it out about 1 to 1 3/4 turns, or where it idles good.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to briano1234 For This Useful Post:

zorro17(12-02-2015)

Thanks

Where can I get that O-ring? Thank you

Thanks

Any Good Hardware store. Count the turns taken to remove it. Write that number down, then proceed to a good hardware store to get a new one and some PFT TAPE, use it only on the threads of the screw. PFT (Teflon tape white).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to briano1234 For This Useful Post:

zorro17(12-03-2015)

Thanks

Back on the steering rack. I realized that to remove the rack completely I need to move the exhaust. This is by far one of the hardest job I have done on a car(I have done this before for a Subaru and it was not this hard) The real PITA.
    My question now is: when I bought this car, the previous owner gave me some parts that he planned on doing, but never got to it. One of them is the headers for the exhaust. Is light and looks awesome, but I noticed that the current manifold has an orifice were the O2 sensor goes on top. The header doesn't have this orifice in the manifold but is down where the four tubes come together. Would you recommend switching to this new header?

Thanks

Depends on which header you have, post a picture of it.

When I replaced the manifold on my 90, I broke 2 studs on the head.
    I strongly urge you to use plenty of PB Blaster on the nuts over days.
    Then a air powered Impact tool and a 6pt socket should remove the nuts or the studs and nuts.

You have to remove the down pipe. I think I mentioned that in the other thread.
    there are 4 nuts IMPACT tool, brush the rust off, then spray with pb-blaster.
    Remove the down pipe at the CAT.

You will have to extend your o2 Harness. I have had to do that one one header, and both dual down pipes.
    Solder heat shrink are going to be your friends.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to briano1234 For This Useful Post:

zorro17(12-04-2015)

Thanks

Hi Brianno, I finally replaced the steering rack and seriously that was one the hardest jobs I have done. In the process, the linkage for the shifter was moved, and I have tried to adjust it but I cant get the first gear. What would you recommend to adjust the shifter ? I tried the cassette tape version, but I get the gear in third not first. somebody recommend I manually moved the linkage to first ( I am not sure where that is neither) and then lock the shaft. I will appreciate any light on this issue. Thank you

Thanks

Unless you replaced your bushings and linkages I wouldn't adjust squanto till I did. You may want to include the main shifter bushing that is riveted in place, but there is a secret...... Cut the Bushing lengthwise down one side and slip it over the shaft....

After getting all the bushings replaced, then I would adjust the shifter rods...only then. I didn't have that much of an issue but if your new to you rack's shifter bracket was bent out of place that could be your issue.

Congratulations now after doing the RACK, the passenger side mount would be considered a piece of cake... as The rack is one of the most P.I.T.A. jobs on these
    beasties. You should now consider your self a mechanic.

Thanks

The bushing set I bought didn't come with that bushing, so I will look for it. The problem is, I moved the shaft out of the luck nut holder to make aesier to work aroudn the rack. Now third is where first should be, and I can get it right. Is there a better way to adjust the shaft?
    Also, you reference something about the passenger side mount, what exactly do you mean? Thank you for your outstanding help.

Thanks

You didn't put the links on backwards, as there is one that if the lever if flipped it won't shift right.
    The Main shifter bushing is on the shaft after the tranny mount rear.

If you have to ask about the Passenger side motor mount, then trust me after the RACK it is considered a piece of cake.

23 is the main shifter bushing.

Thanks

Hi Briano, Thank you so much for your help. I was able to put the links back in place and the first gear works fine. The car worked for a couple of days and now we have a problem. Since I drove it for the first time a couple of days ago I noticed that the temperature gauge was not working but the car kept running fine. I did a couple of drives around town and everything was fine. Then yesterday I drove for about seven miles and when I parked the car turned off by itself. I try starting it and it will turn off in a few seconds. I repeated this process several times and have to leave it there. I thought that it might be the idling but I don't think that is the problem. I looked at all the wires and they are all fine. Is there a good picure of all the wires in the engine that I can look at? Thank you for your help.

Thanks

LOL, not that I know of....
    Starts a couple of seconds then dies?
    Was there a loud whine from the rear passenger side wheel arch?

I would check the Fuel pressure regulator, to verify that you have good pressure and that your FPR isn't toast.
    Remove the Vacuum line off the FPR if there is gas in it the FPR is bad.
    Timing
    Cts sensor, try unplugging it and starting the car.
    in-tank pump bad, external fuel pump bad... bad fuel pressure regulator.
    Do you hear the fuel pump prime for 4 seconds with the key in the run position only (not start)
    In my DIY there is my additions to a single fuel pump conversion, as well as how to replace your in-tank fuel pump.
    If you can't maintain fuel pressure then that is the issue, and there is a thread that I can link you to for a single in-tank conversion.

Fuel gauge work? if yes then look in the DIY's and I have a how to repair your flaky water gauge and how to test it in circuit.
    Basically remove the Black connector on the Sending unit, next to the blue one. Take a 9V battery, and connect it to the plug with jumper wires...
    Go look at your gauge, if the gauge works then your sender is bad and or bad ground to the engine.
    If the Gauge works for 2 minutes, then craps out, you have a cold solder joint internal to the Gauge.

If the fuel gauge is iffy then you have a bad 10V stabilizer, and bad connections between pin 14 Black and pin2 brown. Pin 14 is switched 12V. pin 2 is ground.
    Most of my knowledge is at Links by class..

Testing your water gauge digifant.
    Repairing your Flaky water gauge.
    Last edited by briano1234; 02-25-2016 at 08:04 PM.

Thanks

Well, both pumps works, I tested them. I have to check the FPR. I don't think is timing because I never touched that. what id the CTS sensor? now I have to test the temperature gauge with your guidance. If the temp gauge doesn't work, will that stop the car from running?

Thanks

No temp gauge, now problems running.
    Timing is everything, Great Orchestras, Great Comedians, and Good SEX result from great timing.

Take the Belt cover off, and see if the engine is doing this:
    http://s3.photobucket.com/user/brian...006-1.mp4.html

That is a broken timing belt....
    Last edited by briano1234; 02-26-2016 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks

I could not open the link.

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks, I checked and is not the timing. It starts and then shuts off in about 10 seconds. in one of your links there was a good how to check on grounds and found out that there is a ground form the head cover to the ignition coil that in my car is not connected. I will try this later and I hope that is it. thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
    Hi Briano,

I connected the ground cable to the ignition coil, the started the car. The car idle for about 5 minutes and then I drove it to see what would happen. Not even 10 seconds after I drove off, the car shut off. I started the car again and once I started driving it shut off again. I don't understand what is happening. Do you think it can be the idle screw? I took it off, replace the o-ring and screw back all the way in and then backed about 1 turn 1/4. It seems to idle fine but then the car dies later.
    How about the idle control? How can I check that part? Thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast