VW Rabbit Forum " steering rack replacement" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: steering rack replacement

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: steering rack replacement

You can test it by applying 12v to the thing and a ground, then you should be able to blow through the port, I cant remember if it is closed or opened under power.
    The Idle screw should be partially opened, and as long as the o-ring is good, and you have to use a wrench to move it you should be fine.

With my 90's Cabriolets, issues have been for no starts and such.
    FPR would cause the car to stumble one time as it was intermittently passing all fuel back to the tank. Using the bentley and doing the FPR tests found my problematic issues...
    CTS sensor bad Causes hot start, cold start and funky running.
    o2 sensor that was bad caused a running enriched all the time, and then running fully leaned.

Is there a whine at the rear of the car when this is happening? That would be a restriction in the fuel either main pump, the sump or the in-tank being the issue.
    I have also had a bad gas cap give me grief.

The Hall sender on the dizzy broke, shorted out and wouldn't start, and took out the ICM.

Then there is the FARGING won't start issue that was a "sheared" crank gear.... (it was actually a stripped Crank bolt that backed out.....)

I have to ask do you have a Square coil or the old timey round one? As the Digifant 1 square coil packs are know to get heat issues.
    What do Divorces, Great Coffee and Cars all have in common?
    They all Start with good GROUNDS.
    Replace all of them that you can, 99 percent of flakiness will disappear.

92, 93 Cabriolet.... 89, and 90 are Deceased.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Junior Member zorro17 is a jewel in the rough zorro17's Avatar
    Thanks

Hi Briano,

After testing the car back in February, I was able to rule out, the idle screw (changed O ring and seated properly), I changed the in thank Fuel pump and the outer one. I replaced the coil for a round one. I also replaced the idle valve (used but worked fine). I put a new fuel cap.
    The car will start and run for a minute then it dies, and will not react to the gas pedal. The one thing I have not changed is the FPR. After months of frustration, I took it to the VW dealership here in Hagerstown MD and is still waiting for the diagnosis.

I have a new computer that the previous owner gave me but never installed. What is the procedure to replace it? As always, thank you for your help.

Super Moderator briano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond reputebriano1234 has a reputation beyond repute briano1234's Avatar
    Thanks

Remove the rain tray divertor.
    Remove the ground strap.
    Remove the 2 screws or bolts holding the bracket to the rain tray.
    Carefully unclip the rear (firewall) part of the connector then pivot and remove.
    Unbolt the ECU.

Thanks

Hi Briano, It has been a while, and I have been working on this car, but I need your help once more. I replaced the fuel tank, after I had it checked at a mechanic and found out that it was rusted and clogging the pump. SO it ran for a little bit (5 minutes) and quit again. I am getting the injectors cleaned to see if that is the problem. Any other helpful advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It isn't the idle control.
    Shutting off after 5 to 10 minutes can be a lot of things.

Let me ask you these few questions.
    Is there a loud whine from the rear wheel arch on the passenger side when the car is running?
    Is this a Stutter then shut off, or a kill.

For the loud whine then you have an issue with the in-tank pump that is probably dead and causing the main pump to over work, usually it is a 20 minute thing, but I have head of it happening sooner.

The Fuel pump relay can also be the issue as well as the ignition switch?
    The ignition switch is a little bit of a bother to replace as the knee bar has to come down to get to the screws that hold the cover on, the air bag has to be removed as well as the steering wheel, turn signal, and head light switch as well as the clock spring, to get to the upper bearing mount to remove it so you can get to the one little phillips screw that is holding the switch to the bearing/lock housing going back the shaft has to be supported from the bottom to allow you to replace the spring and collar. Take pictures they will help when the memory fades.

But answer my questions first, and it wouldn't hurt to do the fuel pressure tests outlined in the Bentley/Haynes as if the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) has been known to go bad diverting all fuel back to the tank.

Now shutting off with no noise or stutter is usually the ignition switch failure, but not always.
    My Daughter experienced this once, and after replacing the ignition switch I found out that the new switch did the "same" to her.
    It was the 37 pounds of crap on the key ring, that acted as a pendulum and under the right conditions turned the ignition switch "OFF".

Thanks

Hi Briano, I think you hit in the head with the fuel pump. It makes a loud whine but it seems that the internal is not working. I am getting one right now and as soon as I change it I will let you know. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
    It isn't the idle control.
    Shutting off after 5 to 10 minutes can be a lot of things.

Let me ask you these few questions.
    Is there a loud whine from the rear wheel arch on the passenger side when the car is running?
    Is this a Stutter then shut off, or a kill.

For the loud whine then you have an issue with the in-tank pump that is probably dead and causing the main pump to over work, usually it is a 20 minute thing, but I have head of it happening sooner.

The Fuel pump relay can also be the issue as well as the ignition switch?
    The ignition switch is a little bit of a bother to replace as the knee bar has to come down to get to the screws that hold the cover on, the air bag has to be removed as well as the steering wheel, turn signal, and head light switch as well as the clock spring, to get to the upper bearing mount to remove it so you can get to the one little phillips screw that is holding the switch to the bearing/lock housing going back the shaft has to be supported from the bottom to allow you to replace the spring and collar. Take pictures they will help when the memory fades.

But answer my questions first, and it wouldn't hurt to do the fuel pressure tests outlined in the Bentley/Haynes as if the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR) has been known to go bad diverting all fuel back to the tank.

Now shutting off with no noise or stutter is usually the ignition switch failure, but not always.
    My Daughter experienced this once, and after replacing the ignition switch I found out that the new switch did the "same" to her.
    It was the 37 pounds of crap on the key ring, that acted as a pendulum and under the right conditions turned the ignition switch "OFF".

Thanks

In the FAQ's I have a Thread on how to change one out, you will need 3/4 to 1/2 tank of Gas.

For a 90ish there is a single fuel pump conversion that takes the 200 dollar pump and the 50 dollar pump plus rotted hoses and the filter and eliminates it with a single in-tank pump total is @ 80 dollars.

I can shoot you the link if you need it.

Thanks

Yes, please send me the link. Thank you

Thanks

Here they are in order that you need to follow.

1. How to remove your intank pump.
    2. Single Fuel Pump Conversion.

3. Additions to Ron's Single Pump Conversion (tricks tips and a cheaper pump.)

The 3rd part has a Tre-Pump Listed that is a semi direct replacement for the Main Fuel pump, it is Cheaper. So read all 3 sections.
    I did this swap 6 years ago, and the Car is still going strong.

I will not hesitate to do the same conversion on my blue cabby when it dies.

Thanks

Hi Briano,

I finally got to look at the fuel pump relay. I pulled and it is rusted inside to a great deal. the one below (Load reduction) was rusted as well. I replaced both and the car starts but will not stay on. I will look at removing the knee bar to see if the board is rusted behind, by the way, anything special I should know before I start removing it?. What would you recommend I use to clean the board? I believe this is the reason why this car did not want to work. Thank you

Thanks

Go to www.cabby-info.com She has a fuel pump relay chart. There are some suspect relays out there.
    I would first jumper the Fuel pump relay out with 2 male spad connectors and a wire, prior to saying that there are additional issues.

Getting the fuse box out isn't that hard, and while I would say that the knee bar removal will help, that is an under statement, the biggest help is going to be labeling everything that is plugged into it.

Here is what a 89 box looks like on the inside.

If you jumper the car and it stays running, then the Fuel pump relay is suspect.
    What is it doing when you say not running, if it shuts off all at once, it is usually electrical.
    If it sputters and dies, then that could be other things.

For cleaning it, I would suggest that you try a non aggressive method, ie: Battery corrosion cleaner and a nylon brush, why nylon, because if the bristles break they can't short out. (think tooth brush).

I also mention TARN-X which is a liquid for removing tarnish off of silver and copper, I don't know how well that would work either, but you would have to flush the thing out after and use baking soda to neutralize it, then a wire dry.
    Last edited by briano1234; 11-07-2016 at 09:32 AM.

Thanks

Hi Briano,

I did replaced the relay with a new one, and the car will start and run fine for 10, 20, 30 seconds, and then it dies. No sputtering, just turns off, as if turning the key off. I try to give it gas to see if it works, but no, it dies.
    I brought down the fuse box and look behind it, and found two male connectors, not connect it to anything (not sure what they do, or if that is the way it supposed to be). I did not noticed any corrosion back there. I did replace the ECU(digifant) relay and the Load reduction Relays. The car continue to do the same and I don't know where else to look.
    The one thing I have to do, is to look at the outside pump to ensure is connected properly.
    I will jump the two connectors for the pump relay to verify its function.

Thanks

I would check grounds on the car, Battery to frame and Frame to engine/tranny.
    Try unplugging one at a time, CTS sensor, then the o2 sensor.

Is there a loud whine in the passenger side rear wheel arch prior?

I would also suggest testing the Fuel pressure regulator as outlined in the Bentley.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
    I would check grounds on the car, Battery to frame and Frame to engine/tranny.
    Try unplugging one at a time, CTS sensor, then the o2 sensor.

Is there a loud whine in the passenger side rear wheel arch prior?

I would also suggest testing the Fuel pressure regulator as outlined in the Bentley.

I am in the process of cleaning all the grounds. Yesterday, the car ran for about 5 minutes, and then it die again. I cleaned the one that goes from the frame to the hood, which was extremely dirty.
    The fuel pump makes its whining noise and then it turns off right before the car dies.
    I replaced the FPR a couple of months ago so I don't think that's the problem. I will check on the O2 sensor and the CTS to see if that solves the problem. I have the feeling I am getting close and it does have to do with the grounds. Thank you for your help.

Thanks

The fuel pump makes its whining noise and then it turns off right before the car dies.

That is a sign that your intank pump is gone, and that the main pump is probably getting close to giving up the ghost.
    See the links above for replacing your in-tank pump, and the single pump conversion if you don't want to shell out the up to 400 for both pumps.

The whine that you are hearing is that there is a restriction to the main fuel pump, usually the in-tank pump is dead. The noise is the main pump having to over work, heats it up internally and it shuts off till it cools down. There is also a filter that is between the in-tank pump and the main (not the fuel filter) but it is more like a sump so the in-tank can feed to it and the main tank can pull from there.

Thanks

I changed the in tank pump when I replaced the tank, since it was rusted. It is brand new, but you mentioned that filter and I remember seen it. Perhaps that's were the problem is. I believe I can reach it from the bottom near the fuel pump. Do you have a good part number? and a picture? I will start looking on rockauto parts. Thank you

Thanks

GAP has that filter, it is Pricey.

http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...olet/Fuel/92/2

Thanks

Hi Briano,
    after months of inactivity, I am finally back at getting the cabby fixed. I was looking at the relays and I found the fuel pump (80) and digifant (53) corroded, plus the load reduction one (1. I changed them, but the car did start. I left it for about a month and when I came back there was absolutely nothing, so I charge the battery and when fully charged nothing happened, not even the clock will turn on. I opened the hood and found one the cables from the positive side have burned at a point were it joined the cable by a crimper. At some point somebody joined to cables with a crimper and it burned in this area. I replace the cable with the same size (8 gauge), and connected the battery but nothing happened.
    I looked at the fuse box but I cant find a main fuse, since it seems that is a main fuse. I need help finding this main fuse, if this is the problem. Thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by zorro17 View Post
    Hi Briano,
    after months of inactivity, I am finally back at getting the cabby fixed. I was looking at the relays and I found the fuel pump (80) and digifant (53) corroded, plus the load reduction one (1. I changed them, but the car did start. I left it for about a month and when I came back there was absolutely nothing, so I charge the battery and when fully charged nothing happened, not even the clock will turn on. I opened the hood and found one the cables from the positive side have burned at a point were it joined the cable by a crimper. At some point somebody joined to cables with a crimper and it burned in this area. I replace the cable with the same size (8 gauge), and connected the battery but nothing happened.
    I looked at the fuse box but I cant find a main fuse, since it seems that is a main fuse. I need help finding this main fuse, if this is the problem. Thank you
    There isn't a Main fuse, there are Fusible links.... Usually between the take offs of the pos, to a white connector about 6 inches later.
    I would verify that your ground is good Battery to frame and frame to engine/tranny......

If the battery drained enough it could of dropped beyond the charge recovery. So How Old is the battery, is there electrolyte in the cells.
    and if you put a meter across it, is there 12.5 Volts? That is from the positive to the ground?
    If you don't have 12V or something then you have a issue with the grounds. If you have 12v or something, then you have a bad fusible link...
    It is one of the take off wires, probably the one that they crimped....

Thanks

Hi Briano,

It seems that the battery is bad. It came with 4.5 V and later I placed on a charger and after an hour, the charger brought an error code. I will get a new one and give it a try again.
    In the past I changed the inline fuel pump and noticed that the replacement, had a thread nipple with three holes at the bottom of the nipple. Can I just place the fuel line over this nipple? or do I need some special connection? I haven't been able to find anything on the net. thank you

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast