Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
11K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  nitroscope8 
#1 ·
I'm about to do my first oil change, due to a new engine and all.
so which oil should i get, stick with Castrol or try Royal Purple?

#3 ·
yeah i'm gonna stick with Castrol now

after reading up on Royal Purple it says increase in horsepower/torque compared to regular mineral oils

since Castrol is synthetic as well there wouldn't probably be any gains.
so i guess i answered my own question. how do i delete this thread?? lol

#15 ·
according to film strength tests motul makes horrid synthetic oil...Royal Purple and Amsoil are always on top when it comes to oil tests. If in question, call Royal Purple and they will be able to guide you to a product they sell that is approved for VW use. I was about to look for myself 4 i am about to reach my 5000mile mark within a month and a half from now.

#12 ·
I use what my oil analysis shows the least amount of engine wear and bearing wear. Castrol syntec 0w30...AKA German castrol....ONLY castrol made in germany.

#14 ·
Autozone only has it.

#18 ·
yup. gti is two piece cap.

#20 ·
i've used 0w40 since that is what i think the manual states... idn about 0w30, but nitro should know which isthe better one

#21 ·
the back f the oil bottle MUST say it's VW 502.00 spec approved. if not, you should under no circumstances use it. Castrol 0w 30 is closer to a 40 wt when hot and is doing well in my engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.