Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
72K views 107 replies 60 participants last post by  GreatWhite 
#1 ·
My question is simple. With the new recall announcement of the 500,000 affected diesel cars, what will happen to 1: the proformance 2: fuel economy 3: resale value of the car. If anyone has any substantial knowledge please let us all know so we can act accordly and affectively in the coming months.

#3 ·
CNN -"Owners of the "CleanDiesel" automobiles have filed a class action lawsuit against Volkswagen." I, too, would be interested in learning how to join this suit. I bought a 2015 Golf TDI just a few months ago - very concerned about the recall and resale value. I can't believe Volkswagen pulled this stunt. Very disappointed.

#4 ·
L.A. Times - "In addition to fines, VW will likely face consumer lawsuits on two fronts, said Steve Berman, a class action attorney in Seattle who has successfully brought such cases against Toyota, Hyundai among others.Berman said he is already preparing a lawsuit on behalf of a Marin County, Calif. owner who bought a VW because it was marketed as a clean car and “now they find out it was polluting the environment at 40 times standards.”
VW also will face what is known as a “diminished value” lawsuit because the vehicles are likely to lose a portion of their resale value because of the problem, he said.
“They will have to retool the emissions system, and that will hurt the performance of the car,” Berman said."

#7 ·
From Jalopnik.com: "I own one of these cars! What should I do?
Right now, nothing. If a recall gets issued it will almost certainly be news, and like all recalls owners will get a notice in the mail to get their cars fixed. For now, drive your car like you would normally.
Or you could sell it and buy a Prius. But then you’d have to own a Prius."

Read the full article here: http://jalopnik.com/your-guide-to-dieselgate-volkswagens-diesel-cheating-c-1731857018

#8 ·
Options, options. VW and local dealers are pending results from the investigation to decide how to proceed. In the meantime I will continue to drive my "clean" diesel to work everyday during the "spare the air" days here in California. Lovely.

Time for an environmental uprising!!!!

#9 ·
Automotive Engineer Commenting: 1) Do Nothing 2) Do Nothing 3) Do Nothing. Then.. If you live in a state like NC (which exempts diesel cars from emissions inspections) do nothing. Do not take your car to the dealer for service (if it's out of warranty) as they will automatically install the eventual software fix if you do. This software fix will allow the car to pass emissions, but it will lower MPG, decrease performance, and finally reduce component life of the engine and emissions system. Keep driving your car and keep it like I will. It will last for years. The emissions the car is creating is miniscule compared to older vehicles. Yes we were lied to and the courts / government will force some action by VW next year. If you are under warranty, then again DO NOTHING. Wait to see when there is a software fix released, and if you have diesel emissions testing in your state you will have to proceed with the recall in order to pass emissions inspection. In any case, ALL OF US TDI OWNERS SHOULD SLOW DOWN AND WAIT... There will be compensation to TDI owners at some point but be realistic.. it will take time. In the meantime keep your car and don't sign up for class action lawsuits (you give up your rights when you do).

#11 ·
My household has 2 2015 VW diesels. My Touareg is ok because it has a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR), a known as urea after-treatment system. My friend with a Golf diesel is on recall. I would ask the ARB and EPA to require VW to retrofit their 2 liter diesel with a Selective Catalytic Reduction system and not do the cheaper software reprogram. With the potential fine of 37,500 per offense I would be very disappointed if the ARB and EPA would not negotiate a lesser fine if VW would spend however thousands of dollars the retrofit would cost. Innocent citizens will be hurt by a cheap fix, the big fines will not help us.

#12 ·
Thanks for the advice. What do you mean when you say you give up your rights if you join a class action lawsuit? I don't know what my rights are, or what keeping them gets me. (I haven't joined a suit yet.) I'm afraid if I do nothing, that's exactly what will happen - nothing. Who will be looking out for me? I live in Missouri, so my Golf would have to be "fixed" in order to pass the emissions testing here. I paid a few thousand extra to get the diesel -- I don't want the watered down version. I'd rather they take back the whole thing and give me my money back. I just can't believe they did this.

#14 ·
I just want to give them the car back and want my money back. I purposely sought a car that would lower my carbon footprint. I feel sick knowing that I am possibly having the opposite effect on the environment. The right thing to do is to refund us the money we paid for the lie we bought. In any other industry, if you buy something, and it is not what it claims to be, you get the opportunity to return it with a refund. I'm sad and upset because I loved VW so much and can't believe they've done this. I also own a 1982 Cabrio. They were my go-to. I convinced most of my family to buy one. It's crazy that they have done this at the expense of so many loyal customers. I hope they do the right thing through this.

#15 ·
I purchased my 2014 JSW DSG TDI cash, last April informing the dealer that I intend to purchase a small boat to tow next summer.

He led me right to my purchase showing me the tow mount. I later read a small paragraph in the owners manual saying "don't tow anything with your TDI DSG or you'll break it". NOW THIS! Gaaaa!

#17 ·
Ben, do you or does anyone else here have any idea why all the articles are saying that only 2014 and 2015 TDI Passats are affected by this? Wouldn't the 2012 and 2013 TDI Passats also be affected? It's not like VW played by the rules for two years and then suddenly installed the "defeat devices" in Passats starting in 2014, correct?

#19 ·
if i were you guys/girls, i would just see what happens.

obviously vw is going to have to do some damage control and their stock in going to take a pretty good hit before it's all said and done, but they should "right the wrong" at no expense to the consumer. i don't know if it will be as simple as a software update or software/parts update but with the quantity of affected vehicles, i can assure you that it is going to take a while to fix this.

at this point in time, i wouldn't worry about the inspection process, i'm sure those places will have to proceed with the tests as usual so there shouldn't be a problem. this is not the consumer's fault, so they won't hold it against you.

#20 ·
I have a 2015 Passat TDI. I live in a county that does not require emissions testing. My issue is that I live 40 miles from my work so I bought the car mainly for it's fuel economy. If the fix screws that up I will be furious. Not to mention the resale value will be in the dumps. I am so disappointed right now I want to dump this car.

#21 ·
I realize this deals with diesel models. But what does this do to the value of our VWs that are gasoline powered? And would all these issues cause VW to start "consolidating" dealerships? Where I live in Northern Kentucky, I bought my Golf TSi from the only VW dealer in the area. I'm assuming now that getting an appointment for warranty service will take FOREVER.

#22 ·
I would be mad, too, because even if you don't have to worry about the emissions testing, you still couldn't take your Passat in for any kind of service or repair without them applying the "fix" to your car. I just bought my car a couple months ago and am supposed to get free oil changes for a certain period of time, but now I'm thinking I will do it myself.

#24 ·
"Finally, some potential good news for owners of the nearly 500,000 (or 10.5 million outside the U.S.) owners of Volkswagen TDI diesel cars. Speaking to Automotive News, the West Virginia University engineer whose team’s work uncovered the Dieselgate scandal said that a fix to make the cars emissions-compliant could be relatively simple." See complete article here:
http://jalopnik.com/researcher-who-uncovered-vws-diesel-cheating-says-fix-s-1732537775

Here is the complete interview from Automotive News:
http://www.autonews.com/article/20150923/OEM11/150929933

#28 ·
I would not join any class action suit at this time. As you can see in some of the other response threads below, they are popping up likes mushrooms after a flood. As you stated in your original post, "coming months" are going to shake up more contributors (Audi, Porsche) and all will be busting their humps to avoid paying any money at all if they can fix it with software. Most of us know we can 'refix' it on our own if they drop us 3 mpg or so and we for sure can bring back the zip in other ways. We all need to keep our cars emission happy so we can sell them if we want. So just sit tight and lets see where the ride takes us!

I'll be hangin' out on my porch sippin my margarita biding my time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.