Diesel recall, what comes next
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel recall, what comes next

Junior Member Marciamallow is just really nice Marciamallow's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Diesel recall, what comes next

Quote Originally Posted by AJH View Post
    If your car has AdBlue, it isn't under recall. The cars that were Clean Diesel but did not have the Urea injection are the ones that had the cheat code. The mileage will probably go down quite a bit as you need unburned fuel to activate the NOx trap in the exhaust. My MPG drops from 41/45 to 35/38 when it does a burn off. It will be doing a lot more of that after the "fix" and it will have to run richer to keep the NOx down between burns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ4irwe3ZDk
    My car as AdBlue and IS under the recall. 2015 Golf TDI.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

New Member pkaiser is a jewel in the rough pkaiser's Avatar
    Thanks

My 2013 VW Passat TDI SE has Urea added... I figured it's not on the list because the exhaust gets the Blue treatment? Apparently the 2014 and newer Passats eliminated the equipment and got the software option instead??

Thanks

VW has launched http://VWDieselInfo.com to "keep our community updated with information regarding affected TDI vehicles."

5. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

New Member VWSchwindel is a jewel in the rough VWSchwindel's Avatar
    Thanks

I have owned my 2015 Golf TDI for 48 days, and am very happy with the car except for the new pollution issue with it. Since I live in a rural area with countless gas guzzling SUV's and trucks, I do not feel as bad driving it. I am disgusted and angry that a German car company would do something that GM or Ford would do. I will bide my time until VW decides on the fix, and then do a risk/ benefit analysis on it vs leaving it as is.
    I am not giving it back.

New Member SWS is a jewel in the rough SWS's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 2014 Passat TDI-SE with the 6spd manual , that I purchased in March of 2014, I have the addblue system in my car, is my car also subject to the recall, I remember reading that in 2014 they switched to a new higher horsepower diesel engine, am I remembering that right?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SWS View Post
    I have a 2014 Passat TDI-SE with the 6spd manual , that I purchased in March of 2014, I have the addblue system in my car, is my car also subject to the recall, I remember reading that in 2014 they switched to a new higher horsepower diesel engine, am I remembering that right?
    According this http://vwdieselinfo.com/, your vehicle is included. VW Passat TDI (Model Years 2012-2015)

New Member jlarrabee is a jewel in the rough jlarrabee's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VWSchwindel View Post
    I have owned my 2015 Golf TDI for 48 days, and am very happy with the car except for the new pollution issue with it. Since I live in a rural area with countless gas guzzling SUV's and trucks, I do not feel as bad driving it. I am disgusted and angry that a German car company would do something that GM or Ford would do. I will bide my time until VW decides on the fix, and then do a risk/ benefit analysis on it vs leaving it as is.
    I am not giving it back.
    I think that is wise

New Member rpaul is just really nice rpaul's Avatar
    Thanks

I own a 2013 Jetta TDI. My advice, as other's have mentioned, is to NOT join ANY class action lawsuit. The benefit is solely to the lawyers who pray on these situations to line their pockets.

Would you rather have VW pay you the purchase price of your car (best case) or have this stall in the courts for years...?

I like VW products and would like to give the company the opportunity to make this right for ALL on an even field vs. hundreds of lawyers taking advantage of the situation and diluting any real, equitable arrangement.

My stance is this - VW knowingly committed fraud against it's customers...period. Compensate owners the purchase price. That's how you begin to re-build your image.

World Governments - Clean your own house emission testing-wise, allow VW to make it's customers completely whole. Imposing fines, sanctions, whatever, benefits politicians and rewards bad or lacking Gov't oversight - it doesn't help the consumer victimized by this fraud!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to rpaul For This Useful Post:

jlarrabee(09-30-2015)

Junior Member airpizz6 is just really nice airpizz6's Avatar
    Thanks

Definitely the longest and most heated thread on this forum. Many questions. Absolutely no answers. VW right now is scrambling for leadership while under heavy pressure from the German government and elsewhere. All I know is that I bought a new Passat TDI SEL a few months ago and absolutely love it. In two years, the car will be due for its first emissions test here in Maryland. And I would expect to be asked to produce a document which shows that the problem has been corrected. Hopefully the matter will be resolved by then. And like many, I am really confused about the Adblue thing. Right now all VW 2.0L diesels in the US from 2009 to 2015 are on the recall list. It would be incumbent on VW to prove that the subset which the use the Adblue system are clean, and then those could be removed from the recall list. Clearly, integrating that additional system was not cheap, and why would VW go that way if it didn't work as advertised? Maybe that's a dumb question given the circumstances. But MB and BMW use similar approaches to mitigate NOx. I guess the real question is whether their approaches have been successful. Next few months will be most interesting. Would I expect VW to refund my $30K? No, but if they offer a gas SEL (V6) or a CC in exchange plus some bucks to cover the difference in fuel expenses, I might be swayed to listen.
    Last edited by airpizz6; 09-28-2015 at 03:31 PM. Reason: added content
    Chuck
    Bel Air, MD USA

New Member givafokker is a jewel in the rough givafokker's Avatar
    Thanks

They used DEF 2012-2013

New Member givafokker is a jewel in the rough givafokker's Avatar
    Thanks

How many people have a note with VW finance? Could a judge create an injunction against paying the VW note until they figure this mess out? I have experienced the “Emissions Mode” in my 2013 Beetle on cold starts. It’s as horrible as you would imagine...

New Member miamispur is just really nice miamispur's Avatar
    Thanks

Just joined the forum and reading through some interesting posts, thanks to all for the info.
    I bought my 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI July 20th, and as most of you I am a little concerned.
    I don't want to return the car but as I bought it for the great gas mileage that I'm getting now I'm afraid that a "fix" will change that.
    Some posters have stated that if the car has Urea injection or Adblue then I shouldn't be concerned but I just checked the VW recall site and my car is on the recall list.

Has anyone received any info or mail from VW at this point or is it still a little early?

Junior Member airpizz6 is just really nice airpizz6's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it possible that the defeat software is also linked to the Adblue injection system, ie the system is only operational during emission testing? Wouldn't be a difficult thing to make happen. Then, if the defeat software was removed, the Adblue supply would be exhausted every few weeks, and the cost of ownership would go up significantly. Scary thought. Does anyone have a solid answer on that?
    Chuck
    Bel Air, MD USA

New Member southbay is a jewel in the rough southbay's Avatar
    Thanks

Unhappy Re: Diesel recall, what comes next

Chuck, I'm in the same position. Let's see what VW has to offer us...

New Member cfabluenose is a glorious beacon of light cfabluenose's Avatar
    Thanks

It's tricky for VW given their trickery. But I think that should hit back with some education for the doomsayers. The problem is only with NOx and it will be fixed. Interestingly gas engines produce more NOx but it's removed by the catalytic converter. How well do these work after a few years. And diesels produce less CO2, especially considering they burn less fuel per mile. And compare their environmental footprint with the many, many SUV's and pickups on the road. The EPA should assess both pollutants emitted per mile along with amount of fuel consumed.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to cfabluenose For This Useful Post:

jlarrabee(09-30-2015)

New Member 57MPGTDI is a jewel in the rough 57MPGTDI's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a 2010 Jetta SportWagen TDI, live in Cleveland where we have mandated E Check testing every two years in Cuyahoga County, one of only 7 counties in the entire state that have such nonsense. I just checked out the Ohio EPA page regarding diesel testing, and while it is required every two years, an E Check test is valid for 12 months. I just got new tags, but I think I will get it checked again now before any recall mandates come out, then I have certificate in hand next September when I have submit the testing along with registration. Perhaps I can get away with 3 years before a retrofit if the fix ultimately is not conducive to mileage or driveability.

Thanks

I haven't heard anything directly yet on my 2015 Jetta TDI. I am content wait it out.

Thanks

Was a little of both for me. Although yesterday I was actually ashamed when I was at a stop light next to a Tesla. Beauteous with it's zero emissions

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlarrabee View Post
    Was a little of both for me. Although yesterday I was actually ashamed when I was at a stop light next to a Tesla. Beauteous with it's zero emissions
    ^^ so they put lipstick on a pig.

that tesla was riding dirty too so no need to feel ashamed.

creating the tesla and creating electricity to charge the tesla produces plenty of emissions.

unless of course the end-user only charges from hydro/solar/wind sourced power supplies, they're un-knowingly not 'green'.

it is way too easy to produce electricity from fossil fuels.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

24. The Following User Says Thank You to le0n For This Useful Post:

revtexdave(06-05-2016)

Junior Member CraigK is just really nice CraigK's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought my 2013 Jetta TDI in November of 2012. I bought it for the power, the economy (diesel here is 20 cents a gallon less than the cheapest gasoline), and the eco-friendly claims for the engine: the priorities being as listed. While power and economy were right up there, I won't lie and say that "saving the earth" was nearly as important to me, thought it was considered.
    I do not get all the anguish here: what will happen will happen. Wait and see.
    My county does not emissions test diesels, and if there is a software fix I definitely will not be taking my TDI in for it. Since my 36 months is up next month, I don't even have to worry about kissing off free oil changes. After this mess, I wouldn't dare take it in to another VW dealer.
    What solution will I be happy with? Either leave me totally alone or refund the purchase price of $24,800 in full. I did not pay for a neutered car and would not enjoy driving one.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast