Diesel recall, what comes next
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Diesel recall, what comes next

Junior Member BillyKeith is just really nice BillyKeith's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Diesel recall, what comes next

I realize this deals with diesel models. But what does this do to the value of our VWs that are gasoline powered? And would all these issues cause VW to start "consolidating" dealerships? Where I live in Northern Kentucky, I bought my Golf TSi from the only VW dealer in the area. I'm assuming now that getting an appointment for warranty service will take FOREVER.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Junior Member Marciamallow is just really nice Marciamallow's Avatar
    Thanks

I would be mad, too, because even if you don't have to worry about the emissions testing, you still couldn't take your Passat in for any kind of service or repair without them applying the "fix" to your car. I just bought my car a couple months ago and am supposed to get free oil changes for a certain period of time, but now I'm thinking I will do it myself.

New Member Fitter is a jewel in the rough Fitter's Avatar
    Thanks

My question after purchasing a 2015 Jetta TDI (canadian) three weeks ago is, didn't the addition of the adblue (DEF) to this year's model improve the emissions such that an adjustment to the programming shouldn't cause a dramatic reduction in economy?
    John

5. Remove Advertisements
    Volkswagen Club
    Advertisements

Thanks

"Finally, some potential good news for owners of the nearly 500,000 (or 10.5 million outside the U.S.) owners of Volkswagen TDI diesel cars. Speaking to Automotive News, the West Virginia University engineer whose team’s work uncovered the Dieselgate scandal said that a fix to make the cars emissions-compliant could be relatively simple." See complete article here:
    http://jalopnik.com/researcher-who-u...x-s-1732537775

Here is the complete interview from Automotive News:
    http://www.autonews.com/article/2015...EM11/150929933

Thanks

"Forget The Stock Market, Buy A Used Volkswagen Diesel Right Freaking Now" http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/forget...l-r-1732181250
    I hope the writer is right.

New Member Skrappysgram is a jewel in the rough Skrappysgram's Avatar
    Thanks

I too bought a 2015 Diesel Golf a few months ago.... are there class action suits in Canada? Particularly Vancouver area...
    Thanks!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fitter View Post
    My question after purchasing a 2015 Jetta TDI (canadian) three weeks ago is, didn't the addition of the adblue (DEF) to this year's model improve the emissions such that an adjustment to the programming shouldn't cause a dramatic reduction in economy?
    John
    That's what I'm hoping.

New Member jlarrabee is a jewel in the rough jlarrabee's Avatar
    Thanks

I would not join any class action suit at this time. As you can see in some of the other response threads below, they are popping up likes mushrooms after a flood. As you stated in your original post, "coming months" are going to shake up more contributors (Audi, Porsche) and all will be busting their humps to avoid paying any money at all if they can fix it with software. Most of us know we can 'refix' it on our own if they drop us 3 mpg or so and we for sure can bring back the zip in other ways. We all need to keep our cars emission happy so we can sell them if we want. So just sit tight and lets see where the ride takes us!

I'll be hangin' out on my porch sippin my margarita biding my time.

New Member TDIWoes is a jewel in the rough TDIWoes's Avatar
    Thanks

Can those of who purchased within the last month or so and who are still under the "60-day bumper-to-bumper warranty" ask the dealer to either fix our car (which they cannot do) or refund our purchase?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlarrabee View Post
    I would not join any class action suit at this time. As you can see in some of the other response threads below, they are popping up likes mushrooms after a flood. As you stated in your original post, "coming months" are going to shake up more contributors (Audi, Porsche) and all will be busting their humps to avoid paying any money at all if they can fix it with software. Most of us know we can 'refix' it on our own if they drop us 3 mpg or so and we for sure can bring back the zip in other ways. We all need to keep our cars emission happy so we can sell them if we want. So just sit tight and lets see where the ride takes us!

I'll be hangin' out on my porch sippin my margarita biding my time.

I've decided not to join a class action suit at this time. I can always join in later, if needed.

New Member givafokker is a jewel in the rough givafokker's Avatar
    Thanks

Stop paying your car note to VW until the problem is addressed satisfactorily.

New Member Fdtorre is a jewel in the rough Fdtorre's Avatar
    Thanks

Angry Re: Diesel recall, what comes next

Hell! it gives me no pleasure to drive something that emit pollutants 40 times the prescribed limit. I didn't pay for that. VW should buyback these cars and ship it back to Wolfsberg. I remember the brown smogged clouds in California in the early 80s. NIMBY.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by givafokker View Post
    Stop paying your car note to VW until the problem is addressed satisfactorily.

I don't know if you were joking or not, but I don't think that is a good idea!

New Member Saltracer is a jewel in the rough Saltracer's Avatar
    Thanks

My 2013 Passat TDI has the urea injection on it. My 2012 Golf TDI did not.

caffeinalienated le0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond reputele0n has a reputation beyond repute le0n's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jlarrabee View Post
    I would not join any class action suit at this time. As you can see in some of the other response threads below, they are popping up likes mushrooms after a flood.
    come on now, lawyers have to eat too

seriously though. vw gave the people what they wanted (great mpg + torque). many have reaped the rewards over the years, and i doubt it will be much different in the coming years.

i have yet to meet a vw owner that has purchased the tdi option for the sake of the penguins; it's usually for the sake of their wallets.
    09 CW, 2D, Manual w/ Gorilla Skin + Legos

New Member Pissed is a jewel in the rough Pissed's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought a 2015 Passat SEL-TDI less than three months ago. I am furious to learn that this deception has 1. greatly diminished the value of my still-new car; 2. caused a recall and remedial action that will almost certainly diminish the car's fuel efficiency and performance; and 3. will deprive me of use of the car while it goes back in to an overwhelmed dealer service department. But most of all, I am greatly disappointed that I have heard absolutely nothing from VW on this matter. They're sure eager to get in touch with me to sell me add-ons! Shame, shame, shame!

New Member dontbugme is a jewel in the rough dontbugme's Avatar
    Thanks

That's exactly what I plan on doing with my 2013 Bug. NOTHING! Don't mess with my car! I'm not worried about trade-in or resale values because I plan on keeping it for a LONG time. The cars pass emissions tests now - will we be legislated into proving we've made the modifications? I doubt it and that can be rigged too.

New Member cfabluenose is a glorious beacon of light cfabluenose's Avatar
    Thanks

Thanks for this note of ration. I have been disturbed by the meolodramatic rending of clothes and applying of ashes over this. I suspect any mileage decreases will not be any greater (and probably less) than those associated with underinflated tires, carrying heavy loads, roof racks, high speeds on the highway, aggressive acceleration, etc., etc. There are so many factors that compromise fuel economy far more than a software adjustment. As for power, ny Golf TDI has gobs of torque. I doubt a slight compromise will be very noticeable. Moreover NOx is not by far the most dangerous air pollutant. Fine particulates are far more of a concern and they are pretty well controlled by the newer TDI's. It's disappointing that VW tried this trick but there is no reason to be screaming from the rooftops as if this were a horrific calamity.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfabluenose For This Useful Post:

jlarrabee(09-28-2015), killerdo(10-02-2015)

New Member cfabluenose is a glorious beacon of light cfabluenose's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Marciamallow View Post
    "Forget The Stock Market, Buy A Used Volkswagen Diesel Right Freaking Now" http://thegarage.jalopnik.com/forget...l-r-1732181250
    I hope the writer is right.
    I'm sure he is. Old TDI's have been in high demand for decades. And they emitted far higher levels of pollutants than the current TDI's. People love the pacticality of a small diesel sedan. And think about it. What else can you buy in North America that is at all comparable?

New Member AJH is a jewel in the rough AJH's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saltracer View Post
    My 2013 Passat TDI has the urea injection on it. My 2012 Golf TDI did not.
    If your car has AdBlue, it isn't under recall. The cars that were Clean Diesel but did not have the Urea injection are the ones that had the cheat code. The mileage will probably go down quite a bit as you need unburned fuel to activate the NOx trap in the exhaust. My MPG drops from 41/45 to 35/38 when it does a burn off. It will be doing a lot more of that after the "fix" and it will have to run richer to keep the NOx down between burns.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ4irwe3ZDk

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast