Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  AvocadoRocks 
#1 ·
Good morning. I am a first time Volkswagen owner. I purchased a 2015 Passat Limited. I am noticing the past several mornings that my backup camera will not turn on. Once it does it appears to work fine the rest of the day. Has anyone else experienced this and is there something I am doing wrong or need to do or is there something that I should specifically ask the service department to check? Thanks. - Keith

#2 ·
Have only had my SEL for under two months, but the rear view camera consistently comes on within 5 seconds of selecting reverse. So far as I can tell there is nothing to do other than that. No problems noted as of yet on my vehicle, but I'll be watching. Whatever drives the camera must sense that reverse has been selected, I would guess. And in your case, the problem seems to be temperature related. I have a 2000 MB C280 in which the power seats will not move unless the vehicle is warm.

#3 ·
Hi. I am having the same problem with my 2015 Passat Limited. I am taking it back in for the third time tomorrow. They have already replaced the radio and the camera so I have no idea what they can do at this point. I believe that the system is defective by design. - John

Update: 01/22 - Yesterday the dealership updated the firmware in the unit. We will see. The invoice said it addressed an issue from TSB 2041770. I have not been able to find this bulletin. If anyone has a copy it would be great to read it.

Update: 01/26 - Happened again. Dealership is now going to replace the entire wiring harness.

Update: 10/28 - Volkswagen has replaced everything they can and has now informed me that there is nothing else they can do and nothing else they will do! In so may words - I am just out of luck. I can't even sue them due to their mandatory and binding arbitration clause in their contract. The remedies thru arbitration are very limited when compared to the NC Lemon Law. I've owned VWs since 1981. No more.

#4 ·
I have a 2015 Passet SEL with the backup camera and navigation system. Most of the time the backup camera doesn't come on until I have backed out of my garage and am into the street. Sometimes when you go to a store and back out of the parking spot the same thing happens. I have been trying to get this fixed for over a year, waiting for an update to the system or whatever. To this date VW dealer and Customer service have not been able to diagnose the problem. Have an appointment again on Monday to see if they can figure out why this system doesn't work. I drove a 2016 the other day and the camera comes on immediately when the shift lever is placed in reverse. Wish mine would work this way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.