Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
51K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  DanielsRabbit 
#1 ·
I have been looking ang looking but I cannot seem to find the round headlight conversion for my 84 rabbit GTI. I have found the grill but no lights. Can any one link me please>

#2 ·
To convert it to round lights you will need a round as in Cabriolet valance, that will have to be welded in, you may also need to change over your fenders.

The lights will have to be bought as assemblies off of ebay.

#3 · (Edited)
#4 ·
To do a round conversion you will need:

*Core/radiator support/front valance/whateveryouwannacallit from/for any 1975-1979 German-made Rabbit and/or any 1980-1993 Cabriolet.

*Fenders from/for any 1975-1979 German-made Rabbit and/or any 1980-1993 Cabriolet.

*Single-round or dual-round headlight grille.

*Headlights (can be bought anywhere).

If you have a Rabbit with fender-mounted turn signals, you'll need to find a new way to mount turn signals (city light headlights, installing a bumper with lights, grille-mounted, etc.)... if you want turn signals.

:drive:

#6 ·
I'm in the middle of doing this to my kids car, The differance is he is hooked on the rectangle lights, his point was simple. Everyone swaps to round , no one swaps to old westy ( basicallt he did not want to be like everyone else that swaps do to rust or just looks) so that is what we are doing got an 80 rad, support. Looking for fenders now. oh also got two grills and Euro bumpers will be picked up At H2o
It isn't that hard of a projact if you know what you are doing.
So get that swap done:)
On mine i'll switch to rounds.....:)

#10 ·
Sawzall. Take more than you need and finish it at home. You can use a spot weld cutter if you are patient, have lots of time, and can reach every single spot weld.

To use it you can & should drill a small hole for the pilot to go through, keeps it aligned better during cutting.

Cheapo one I got at harbor freight looks like this and cut 100+ spot welds on a Jeep once:

#12 ·
Battery powered sawzall would be good. You'd want some extra batteries probably so this might get expensive if you don`t already have a cordless set to add into. I had this one for a while, it worked fine but the battery wasn`t as robust as a Dewalt would be:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.