VW Rabbit Forum " Gear indicator on dash?" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Gear indicator on dash?

New Member daniel.el.leon is a jewel in the rough daniel.el.leon's Avatar
    Thanks

Gear indicator on dash?

My buddy has a 2006 Jetta and I was driving it recently and noticed that on the display it shows what gear I was in. I figured it was just something the Jetta had and wasn't included on my 2007 Rabbit.

I looked today and you can see where the LED is to display the number of which gear you are in on my Rabbit. When I first bought the car new there were a number of things disabled in the PDI. Is this something can be turned on or off or is it just not available?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Senior Member geogob is a glorious beacon of light geogob's Avatar
    Thanks
    The selected gears only show up when in semi-auto mode with the tiptronic automatic transmission. Go from D to semi-auto and it should show up.
    geogob | Pro German-engineering pro German engineer.
    Rabbit 2007 - 4 DR - Nice engine - Wheels.

New Member daniel.el.leon is a jewel in the rough daniel.el.leon's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for the quick reply. The strange thing is his showed up in normal automatic drive mode. Did they change this to only show up in tiptronic with the 2007 models?

Senior Member H12 is a jewel in the rough H12's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mine is a 08
    and it only shows the gear in Tiptronic

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    If your car has the most up to date software, you will NOT have the gear indicator. The old software (which had problems) shows what gear you are in. While it's cool to see if shift, that software has known issues for shifting irregularities.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

Guru Member mmmoose is a name known to all mmmoose's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    If your car has the most up to date software, you will NOT have the gear indicator. The old software (which had problems) shows what gear you are in. While it's cool to see if shift, that software has known issues for shifting irregularities.
    I've got a late model '08 Rabbit with Tiptronic, with the gear selector in the MFD on at all times. It's the newer or "high line" version. Everything works fine without any problems or irregularities. Personally I love it, because the loose leather cover on the Tiptronic shifter makes it hard to tell which gear I'm in. Anyway I don't know if your post was in reference to manual transmission only, but there have been no problems so far.

I've also been wondering about whether our Rabbits should have digital compass directions within the MFD. I've read about GTIs (and Jettas/Passats?) having that function on the upper left hand corner of the MFD. I can see where it would be, but I'm guessing that feature was simply axed for cheaper model VW vehicles (like the Rabbit). It would still be nice, if you ever get lost in the city without cardinal direction labeled street signs.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    I don't think the rabbits have the compass, could be wrong though.

BTW, I used to live in exton. That KOP mall is fawking huge!

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Guru Member mmmoose is a name known to all mmmoose's Avatar
    Thanks
    Haha yeah KoP is alright. But I do think it's boring most of the time (everywhere closes early). And I don't know if it's because I've lived here for so long, but I don't think there's anything special about the mall either (typical mainstream department stores/retaurants). If anything it sucks because of all the traffic and the lack of skillful drivers from neighboring cities/states. Oh well, I'm planning on moving to Hatboro soon anyway...

:-)

On a side note I noticed that my girlfriend's 07 Rabbit (also Tiptronic) has the gear selector indicater on at all times too. But she has the older "low line" MFD. I don't know whether it's glitchy or not, but she hasn't mentioned anything wrong about it. I'm not sure what determines the variations in function/features of the MFD. It's odd that VW quietly updates certain components between early and late year models without any form of public documentation.

I'm broke
    Thanks
    Has nothing to do with MFI. Has everything to do with TCM software levels/versions. There are no "bad" versions to have. Some transmissions get along better with certain versions of software.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Junior Member Ty's_Rabbit07 is a jewel in the rough Ty's_Rabbit07's Avatar
    Thanks

Smile mmhhmm

I dont have that on my car, but i do want to get the stick shift knob that indicates in LED lights what gear you are officially in

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text