Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
11K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  sgnimj96 
#1 ·
I have a slow leak coming out of diesel injector in 82 Rabbit.
Do I just try to tighten first?
Can you use permatex to try and seal around thread?
Is there a check one can do at home to test out the injector
once its pulled out of engine?

#2 ·
First are you sure it is the injector and not the pipe? The injector can be tightened, and you can use Teflon tape. I wouldn't try gluing it at all.

I used to have the Number 3 fuel line crack, and it would dribble to the injector, so I would look closely at the fuel pipe...

Co-inky-dinky.... it would only crack when I had bad motor mounts... (passenger side of course.).

I would take the fuel pipe off the injector pump and the injector, and pull the nuts back and clean the flair with some fine grit paper, place a little grease on the flare and re-tighten it.

It will also allow you to inspect the fuel line closely for cracks.

#3 ·
Your reply is much appreciated!!!

Thank you for the information. I have found out that all the repair manuals I have read or the one I own lack in detailed information when it comes to repair or troubleshooting problems. Looks like I need to buy a wrench should I need to replace an injector. I will back off the nut for the fuel line and look it over this weekend!!!!!! I also decided to have new injectors on hand just in case.
Was not able to find any local parts stores that could even order them for me.
(Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, Pep Boys etc.) Thankfully the internet was able to help. Found brand new ones out of South Carolina @ www.eMiata.com for $24 each. They also had a set of glow plugs for $24.
Again...........Thank you!!

#4 ·
yep carry a spare glow plug in your spare tire well with the 2 wrenches that you need to remove it a 8mm and a 10mm deep well socket and cheap ratchet, if I remember right.... throw them in a couple of ziplock bags wrap in a shop towel.

A Diesel won't start with all glow plugs bad, but one good one and it will start right up....

Then change the other 3 out at your leisure.

I was stranded once in 230k for bad glow plugs, and that was the only time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.