Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 13 replies 2 participants last post by  whittleos 
#1 ·
hi . new to this group . so sorry if sound a dope .

just bought a mk1 golf 1.8 gti . 1983 year .

its had new fuel pump filter all sensors to be honest . any ways the car will not start . only way get it going is take live off the fuel pump . it will then start and then you put live back onto fuel pump . doing this about ten seconds later fuel/oil comes pooring out the air box . not just a little bit a lot . all the cylinder compressions are reading 150 max was 170 on cylinder one . any body had this issue before or know what would cause it . any help be much appreciated thank you guys and girls .

#3 ·
hi . well i have taken the top off the box the plunger plate has no gap around is that normal first as i thought would need a bit of gap around . also should there be any pressure when pulling it up or is it just floppy as such . im new to the mk1 golfs . always wanted one so have one but just do not want to waste money on something that wont fix it . the amount of fuel/oil coming back through the inlet is unreal . sometimes it will fill cylinders . im gussing the smoke is from it been all in the inlet ect and will clear once its solved

#5 ·
what would you want pics of and i shall go take some ? ... and its odd i never come across it . its almost as if its just been flooded with so much fuel it has no where to go but out the inlet manifold and through air box . also the flap lifts up like its not attached to anything when ignition is of not tried with it running . thanks for your replay .

#7 ·
Show me the fuel and where it's is. Point to where you mean when you take the pics.
The flap will lift with no fuel pressure, it may be that the plunger is stuck, that does happen.

Host the pics on somewhere and then add the link here.
You could do a vid and post it on youtube.

#8 ·
how do i post pics on here . thanks for your replays and help .... the fuel comes out from air box all though its chocker when take the air intake pipe off up the pipe inlet ect ... also how do you take them out to check or can you not .. its been sat since 05 ran fine when was parked up . dose that sound like reason . all though why would it stick open not closed or it just be fact put throttle down when trying to start hence sticking open maybe . i have never came across this kind of problem before normaly oil coming back is sign of back pressure with wear to rings but just this is fuel mixed with tiny bit of oil . and compression i think is good so doubting rings . all though sounds lumpy when running all though will do if fueling not right i assume

#10 ·
i will have to get a vid of it running today . pics are on my laptop not online .that the problem i clicked the link but not got url .. i shall have a look tomorrow after work see what will take to remove it and see if sticking well must be to be honest . if take the plugs out . turn it over it frows load of fuel out the cylinders . no like would if normal amount of fuel . if take pump off it the spray gets less more to a mist then car will run only for second or to .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.