Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  CRB1701 
#1 ·
I hope this is the tech forum. I have an unusual question.

My Rabbit's headrest is very annoying - it pushes my head forward about 3" too far and I can't straighten my back. How do I go about modifying the headrests or replacing them with flatter substitutes? Where would I take my vehicle to have something like that done?

Thanks.

#2 ·
you may be able to lift them straight out of the seat back and replace them with ones from another model. take some measurements and see what you can find at the local salvage yard. if you don't want used, at least you can 'find' what fits and then buy it new somewhere.

those headrests are very helpful in the event of a rear end collision, tho. i understand you find them bothersome, but they may save you from a case of whiplash one day...

#7 ·
you may be able to lift them straight out of the seat back and replace them with ones from another model. take some measurements and see what you can find at the local salvage yard. if you don't want used, at least you can 'find' what fits and then buy it new somewhere.

those headrests are very helpful in the event of a rear end collision, tho. i understand you find them bothersome, but they may save you from a case of whiplash one day...
I would never remove the headrests altogether - I had a rear-end collision once in an older Jetta. The headrest was a lifesaver.

How do you "lift them out?" The headrests seem locked into the front seats. The back headrests can be lifted out with ease. I like the idea of just turning them around.

#6 ·
quickly, everyone imagine kitty driving in the "granny" position before she has a chance to defend herself!

On a relative note. I love them.... Theyre not super comfy as to allow for daydreaming while driving, but they are of no inconvenience. Your best luck would be to search out similar headrests like the poster above stated.

#10 ·
recline youre seat a bit... youre sitting up to straight!!!
that's what i was thinking. i don't have a "gangster lean" or anything, but my seat is back far enough that only my lower and mid back touch the seat, my shoulders and head are forward a bit.

and now that i'm at work i can post just fine!! any time i tried to reply at home, it wouldn't let me type in the box, or would only let me type two or three letters then the cursor disappeared and i couldn't click in the box to get it back. wtf?! :mad:

#13 ·
Lol fair enough. I usually watch TV in the evenings with my iPod in front of me like a mini laptop. Best $300 PDA ever. Quickly going off topic, as most threads do once I post, so I'll stop :p.

I would try adjusting the backrest like everyone else said.

#18 ·
dj,

Great idea! But how did you do that? The front headrests seem locked into the seats. How do you pull them out - is there a secret button somewhere?

#15 ·
i saw someone with read headrests in the front at a show recently. looks a little odd. i have an extra full set of seats so i put front headrests on the rear outer seats for a bit last summer, they were way too tall. actually come to thing of it when i was playing around with them i put the rear ones in the front too. reminded me of the 1984 pontiac parisienne my mom had when i was little.

side note, i quit firefox and restarted it and i can post again :p

#21 ·
I believe there is an extra push-in thing on the side that you have to squeeze in to get them to come all the way out. It looks flush with the outside ring part.
I looked for that - they're on the back rests but not the front. I'll email VW directly and ask them. If you want, I can post their answer here.

#26 ·
Kitty,

Thanks! I thought that button was just for height adjustment, but you're right, it releases the headrest completely.

I switched the back rests for the front ones, but they're worse - that really pushes my head forward. But I reinstalled the front rests backwards and that works perfectly!! :D: It looks a little strange, but if you're not a Rabbit owner, you'll never know - simply looks like they're sailing with the wind.

If anyone ever tells you you're not one of the greatest people in the world, they're ignorant or lying. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.