Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
6K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  08vdubrabbit 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I have an '08 Rabbit 5 spd with about 11,200 miles on it. Recently with all the hot weather we've been receiving on LI, I've been blasting the A/C. I have noticed SOME power loss with the A/C pumping on max, but I guess that's expected. What caught my attention is that 2 days ago, I was taking off from a light with the A/C pounding, and then the CHeck engine light came on. Next morning off. Today, I just went out this afternoon for lunch, and accelerating from a stop in 1st gear, CEL comes on again with the A/C pumping. Is it because I'm letting the RPM's dip too low? I normally drive conservatively for fuel econ, but I noticed I need to bring the revs up higher with the A/C on. I made an appointment with the dealer for next Saturday. I was just wondering if anyone has any input on this. Thanks.

#2 ·
Could be a number of things. For these cars the most common cel's are from a leak in your evap system (fuel cap) or from your cooling fans going. Start y our engine and put the a/c on. Wait a few moments. Look at your cooling fans. Do they BOTH turn on? If only one turns on, thats the problem.

#3 ·
hey thats funny i live on LI and i just got a CEL out of noware and i have intake exhast and chip for like 5000 now on my car and i get a cel.

#4 ·
Turns out his fan is what set the cel...lol.

#5 ·
Yeah.. Nitro was correct, my fan set the CEL off. I was in a minor fender bender where the body shop had to replace the radiator supports. The Radiator came loose and one of the fans was resting on a wire harness. Luckily no damage was done to the wire harness. I brought the car to the body shop this morning, they admitted the mistake gave me a rental and are working on it. Hopefully the fans don't need to be replaced now. BTW - I know the left fan is for cooling and the right fan for A/C. How come my A/C still worked without my right fan turning, and the car didn't over heat? THat one fan can over compensate for that much load?

#6 ·
Both fans operate in tandem. The large fan has a control module inside it. This module controls the large and small fans. The only thing that varies is the fan speed. Unlike previous vw's where the fan speed was low and high, these fans operate at any rpm needed depending on engine and a/c load. When the large fan goes, the small one works overtime and screams at full speed. Somehow this is still able to cool the engine down....except when a/c is on and the temp is over 100, then it gets hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.