Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  johnjac 
#1 ·
So maybe this is a dumb question but it is one that I have to ask. Are all FN coded transmissions 5 speeds? My backstory is that I bought a diesel pickup with a parts engine and FN coded trans mounted in it, however the truck wasn't running at the time. I removed the trans and connected it to another 1.6 diesel engine that I have been working on for a while, took old engine out and put new engine with FN transmission into the pickup. It was only then that I discovered that the selector lever was one for a 4 speed (the short one). Included with my purchase of the truck was a box of parts which I dug through and found 4 speed and 5 speed linkage (both the black and white kind). I have the 4 speed linkage connected, and have found that I can only find reverse, 1st, and 2nd. 5 speed linkage feels way too stiff so I can't simple go through the gears to confirm my dilemma. So back to my question, is my transmission a 4 speed or 5? If it is a 4 speed, how would I adjust the shift rod to get all the gears? or if it is an fact a 5 speed, where can I get the correct selector lever to feel/get all 5 speeds? I have been looking for the classic indicators to be able to tell and all signs except the selector lever point towards it being a 5 speed ( end cap is the bright green one and not the home plate shaped one, motor mounts bolts are through the sides and not the 4 on top, etc) but why would the selector lever be the 4 speed one? I wouldn't imagine it is a high demand item, especially because trying to adjust these seems like a nightmare waiting to happen...Anyone have a definitive suggestion or any useful advice? Im sure I am not the first person this has happened to...maybe it is though, I do seem to get myself into these messes nobody else wants to get into. Thank God my wife is supportive of my VW addiction. Well for 3 weeks out of every month at least...

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Longer inside the car as shifter rod to get it in the air.....

Usually folks want to shorten the shifter for quicker response, but that is in the engine bay and not the inside of the cabin.

FN's are all 5 speed.

If you have the 4speed linkages you don't get all gears and I think IIRC when I did it reverse was a tad flaky too.

kit 5 spd

kit 4spd

Reactions: johnjac
#4 ·
I got a bushing kit and a lever like the ones shown, minus the linkage because mine are still usable. So you're saying I can use the short selector with the fn trans? Is there an additional adjustment of the rod I need to make? I seen your cassette tape diy and I will use one for the adjustment tonight and update you. Thanks for the quick response. One additional question. The shift rod bearing ( some refer to it as Delrin bearing or something like that) does it get bushings on either end? I've been looking online and seen a few on ebay that are orange and have white ends like the top right pair in the 1st pickured you posted of the autohaus kit? Thanks again, you should change your username to 1-800-Bentley-tech-support, ha ha.

#5 ·
The answer is there is and there is a secret that I was told... so I won't repeat it. The delrin bushing is orange or orange and white or white... Now the secret is that if you cut the bushing lengthwise down one side of it, you can drill out the rivet that holds it. Cut the old one off, then expand the new one over the shaft, and bolt it back. No other dissassembly required. It would be like using that wire conduit that is spilt on one side to protect wires. Hear that it is good for over 60K at least that is what the friend told me he had on the repair at the time he sold it.

Reactions: johnjac
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.