Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Tunsarod 
#1 ·
Hope I'm not annoying any one only I just joined and poste this as a blog ifrst then found this forum.

I have a 1992 G60 (all standard). In 2012 the car was running well but it was a little smokey and the superecharger was making noises. The car was parked up until this summer (2014) when the head was removed, given an overhaul and refitted along with a replacement (used) supercharger. After reassembly the engine started instantly and immediately settled to a nice steady tickover. It was running smoothly with NO smoke for about fifteen minutes when we realised that coolant was not where it should be but was on the floor in the passenger footwell.

The heater matrix was replaced with a new one but this is a tricky job requiring many wires to be disconnected and also involves big mechanics hands getting in between the engine and firewall. Plenty of opportunity to accidently break wires etc.

Anyway the water leak fixed, the dash reassembled the engine was started and again it starts instatntly BUT now what happends is that it runs slightly lumpy but ticks over at a normal speed. However after a quick blip on the go-peddle the engine starts accelerating without any further human assistance, seemingly in rapid stages, getting ever faster. Since the rev counter is not working at the moment we can't say how fast but I'd guess it was as high as 3000 to 3500 rpm when the ignition was cut. This all happened in a very short period just a few seconds.

At the same time there is a lot of pale smoke which seems to be mostly unburnt fuel. (Plugs are all good and the spark is strong) After stopping the engine it was restarted but this time it took quite a bit of cranking to get going, no doubt due to excess fuel in the pots. Once running and a quick blip on the throttle the same thing as before - engine just keeps on accelerating - into oblivion if not stopped.

On the face of it, something happend during the matrix re-fit; vacuum pipe misplaced, a wire is off a sensor but we have found nothing wrong. Yet clearly something is very wrong.

The only logical thing I can say is the problem did not appear to exist before the matrix was replaced. However I do wonder if in fact it was going to happen anyway. Either way I am at a loss to know what to do next.
So to summarise:
the engine starts and runs with a slightly lumpy tickover
it appears to be over fuelling - perhaps more than what might be termed 'running rich'
a lot of fuel vapour is being ejected out of the exhaust
after a very brief blip on the throttle the engine begins to accelerate reaching about 3000 rpm in around 6 secs.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received?

See less See more
#3 ·
Re: Recirculating Boost valve. Could be. Despite owning this car for about ten years I it's been so reliable I am only now getting to grips with this engine and it's systems. Also it's in my nephews workshop some 30 miles away so it's definetly a weekend project. I'll let you know if that idea leads anywhere. Thanks

Its also been suggested that the throttle cable might be sticking but I don't think so and that wouldn't account for the apparent over fuelling. However I will make sure of that next time.
Regards
Tunsarod

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.