Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  GT_Volt 
#1 ·
Hey
Hows this car ? Fuel average, maintenance, general advise.
Appreciate your input.

#2 ·
I don't own one but have read extensively about them. From everything I've read they pay dividends if you put a lot of miles on a car and/or you keep a car for quite awhile. The initial cost is more. Fuel per gallon is more but you get more mpg. Also, unlike gasoline engines, the timing belt on a diesel engine must be changed changed at a certain interval. I don't remember when that is, maybe 50,000 mi. It could be that that is no longer a requirement on 2014-15 engines. Someone on this site or VW can answer that for you. It's kind of a big ticket item. Good luck. I'd love one but don't drive that much. A friend has one in a Jetta Wagon and he can't say enough good things about it. I spend time in Europe, Italy-France on a regular basis. Cab drivers swear by VW diesel and many of them are going 24 hrs. a day. My dad owned many diesels (Mercedes) and swore by them. Don't know if this is helpful but thought I'd share what I knew.

#3 ·
You are right about the above.
I have since changed my plan : i will be leasing for 4 years and for that i went with the TSI 2015 auto.

Given that the gas rate is 5 years low and the TSI is known for an impressive gas mileage, I did pull the trigger on this car. The dealer is finding me one as I type this message or I may have to wait for 2 months for a comfortline in Metal Blue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.