Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  vdubcb 
#1 ·
i have an 84 rabbit, diesel, i heard new diesel fuel is low sulfur content and will reck my injector pump, can i still use #2 fuel oil or will it do the same thing just as fast. or is there something i can add to fuel to prevent this problem?

#4 ·
Red fuel

#2 is the most common of the diesels sold at the pump.
The distinction of red dyed fuel is the reduction or absence of taxes. It is usually used for farm, heavy building i.e. highway construction and military.

#3 · (Edited)
Diesel

I had an 06' TDI that I put additives in.
You can buy diesel additives at the parts store. I used Power Service additive, it puts the sulfer, a cetane booster and other engine helping agents back into the systems.
I would buy a bottle every couple of months, and would add it in every tank.

#5 ·
The ultra-low-sulful diesel they sell at the pump now has some lubricity additives in it; it's not as friendly to your engine as the stuff with sulfur in it, but it still will take a long time before it causes any damage, if it does at all. You can use additional additives in your fuel to increase lubricity. One other simple option is to replace your fuel hoses (make sure to get the ones back at the fuel tank) with synthetic rubber or plastic, and mix in some biodiesel. Biodiesel is actually a better lubricant than sulfur... let alone cleaner! If you're going to run blends over 20% biodiesel though, you ought to replace the gaskets in the injection pump with viton.

Overall, it's nothing to get too worried about, but there are a couple simple fixes out there anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.