Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
8K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  vw65beetle 
#1 ·
65 beetle sedan

The window regulators came out with some difficulty -- I had to pull hard. Now I can't get them back in. Here is where I'm at: the inner and outer scrapers are in; the vent window is in; the channel felt is in and the last to go in is the window and its regulator. I have tried every combination I can think of. The problem seems to be that since the top of the regualor needs to be at the inside of the door I can't get it past the lower post of the vent wing window that attaches to the door.

I have read the big workshop manual, a Hayne's manual, and a blog by "The bug shop". None of them go farther than explaining the sequence.

I would appreciate those ideas that you may have encountered in performing this task.

#2 ·
My memory is a bit faded on those, did hundreds but years ago.

Do you not fit the seals then the regulator, then the glass, then the q/light with the glass down. The cable tucks under the door top between the q/light strut and door skin, the cable can be forced behind the strut to replace it but the glass wont come in or out with the q/light in. And you finish off by aligning the glass when up. I think that's right.

#5 ·
I just got all the replies so thanks to all. I was able to get the regulator in by simply pulling the vent window back, as if I was going to remove it, which loosened the vent mounting shaft enough to slip the regulator past on the inside. All is well and the doors are done. Thanks again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.