Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  unvmyss 
#1 ·
Hello. This is my first post in this forum. I found it searching for answers...and haven't had any luck. I have a 2008 GTi with factory HID's. One of the bulbs gave me the common warning signs that it was going to go out... it turned pink and then burned out. I ordered some new bulbs off ebay, and proceeded to change the bulbs. I have never done this on these cars, but am mechanically inclined. I was replacing both bulbs while in there. After replacing the bulbs and plugging them in to check if the problem was resolved, one of them still wasn't turning on. I swapped parts for about 2 hours trying to narrow down a culprit or cause until determining that I believe it is the black and red igniter that attaches to the bulb. Nothing looked visually wrong with it, but after swapping it back and forth, it seemed to be the cause. Do these just go out? Not really sure what I could have done with it to damage it in any way... Is there a way to test the igniter to verify? I do not want to waste 100 dollars on a used igniter on ebay if there may be some other things to try first. Thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.