Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  russman 
#1 ·
newbie to the site and older VWs. just picked up a 80 diesel rabbit. i drove it an hour and a half home and found the brakes to be lacking. they seamed to brake fine at highway speeds but coming to a complete stop is rather tough. it does not feel spongy, like air in the lines. if i would have to guess i would say something to do with the booster?

a little back ground on the car... the only electric hooked up is the fuel pump glowies and starter. i have some lights rigged up. interior is striped minus the front seats and dash speedo is the only working gauge.

there is a lot already gutted from this car and i'm wondering if maybe vacuum is not hooked up/ removed? any help pointing me in the right direction is appreciated.

#3 ·
Where the Distributor would be in a gasser rabbit, drivers side of the engine prior to the Transmission bellhousing, is a vacuum pump.

It has a hose that goes to the brake booster, and a couple of other places.
As has been said remove the hose that goes to the brake booster, and see if vacuum is present.
If it isn't, then you need to get a rebuild kit for it. Napa, and some other local places sell them.

There are 3 types of pumps over the years, a round diaphragm, a squareish diaphragm, and a vane pump.

If you look up the kits from Germanautoparts or napaonline, you will see what I mean.
http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Result.aspx?Ntt%3dvacuum%26Ntk%3dKeyword%26Nty%3d1%26N%3d599001%2b101980%2b50074%2b2074016

#5 ·
You might think of upgrading to vented discs from the Cabriolet, 83 works fine. Will make a big difference in stopping if you hit long hills where you do a lot of braking.
Before the changeover I would lose a lot of breaking power to complete fading on long grades in the rockies. After the changeover I have not had a braking loss. Doesn't cost much and you just have to remember to use the brake pads from the 83 Cabriolet rather than the stock pads.

Sure adds a measure of safety.

#7 ·
. Doesn't cost much and you just have to remember to use the brake pads from the 83 Cabriolet rather than the stock pads.
Or at some houses or parts, the 83 GTI for the pads as the regular solid rotor pads are too thick for the vented rotors by about 1/8 of an inch...The calipers are the same. You can also upgrade the master to the Cabriolet type, which should be a bigger bore.

#9 ·
Because the Cabriolet weighs about 500 lbs more than the hardtop rabbit.
It has a re-enforced frame, as well as the top weighs more than the shell for the hardtop.

I know at first glance the Cabriolet looks to weigh less, but it doesn't. The Cabriolet is set up more on the GTI or Scirocco lines.

#11 ·
#13 ·
Glad you got the pump fixed, those are easy to rebuild. Now you will have dash vent's working as a side effect.. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.