Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
4K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
I have a 2 new parking brake cables to put in, I put in the right side no problem! . The left side though, the owner before me welded the threads near the handle, do i had to bolt cut the cable, and pull it out. I got it out, but the new cable wont go in, and keeps getting stuck about 6 inches in? I kept messing with it for a good hour or two, then i rage quit. I need help before i lose my mind! Thanks!

#2 ·
Are you sure that you have the correct cable. The original "beetle" parking brake cable is about 2 inches longer in the bolt, and won't go in the tube unless you cut the bolt end off the same dimension as the rabbit cable. I know this as I got a new cable to replaced my locked up broken one about 10 minutes before the store closed.... and let me tell you 300 miles from home you do what you have to do. I cut the bolt (2 jammed nuts trick) and it was still on the car that way when I sold it. Have you also verified that the feed tube isn't crushed?

If you have the old cable out of the side that you got it out of then use it to measure up and compare to the new one that won't fit.

#3 ·
I ordered 2 cables identical , one fit, the other one wont go in. Both the feed tubes (on the body), seem to be more Oval-ish than Circle, If that makes sense. I tried putting fishing line down the part where the handle is, to try to tie it to the cable thread end and yank it through, and it wont go all the way through. I know its the right one, because the other one fit perfectly. The cable goes about 6 inches in, then it sounds like its hitting something metal :3 need to have this fixed by tommorow, whole car is up on jack stands, Im selling the 17 inch rims and tires, and getting 15's. I don't want to put the car back down until its fixed, because the car is so low, i cant even fit my head under it haha.

#4 ·
The only thing that I can suggest it to get a long bolt and try to pound it in so that you can clear the obstruction, I would suspect that there may be a bit or three of a the old cable jacket that is frozen or broken off in the tube. You could try getting a longer thinner machine screw cut the head of the screw off and insert it in a drill and use oil to try to clean that tube out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.