Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  tuzzie 
#1 ·
Yeah, this is my first time posting here so I don't know all the rules yet. Please forgive me if I have posted something wrong or in the wrong place. Anyways, my question is that in the owner's manual, under part 3.1 in Controls and Equipment, on page 11 it states as follows:
"Automatic mode: The selector lever position is highlighted with a lighter background; the actual gear selected by the transmission is shown on the right"
And there's even a picture to go with this. What I'm asking is that my car doesn't show what gear I'm in when I'm in automatic or even sports mode. Is there anything that I can do about this or do I have to drive all the way to my dealer to get this fixed?

#11 ·
Yea, if you want it to shift at redline each time... Not a good idea for most of the time. I was looking for the gear indicator as well as my Geek Mobile has this. I guess it doesn't really matter, but it was kinda nice to know what gear the car was in.

#8 ·
The new software updates get rid of the gear feature. The older version has it in D mode, it shows what gear the trans has currently selected. But the lastest software version deletes this and there is NO way of puting it back, even if you flash back to an older version.

#10 ·
No. The cluster will display your current gear in tiptronic mode ALL the time. Would not be good if you didn't know what gear you were in!

#13 ·
Any current vw's that have the most up to date software will NOT have this feature. Many of the recalls out will get rid of it....so oh well.

So you can think of it this way...if you have a gear indicator, you can bet on having a problem and needing a reflash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.