Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
5K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  briano1234 
#1 ·
I need to replace my left outer door handle in the near future since the inside mechanizim is cracked and makes it difficult to open the door. I'm having trouble finding new handles for cabriolets of this vintage. One company I called claims their inner workings are a little different but that these pieces may be swapped from the originals assuming they're not the part that is broken or too worn. Has anyone run into this before or have a source for the correct handles? Brian:Ciao:?

#2 ·
They are correct, but any 2 door rabbit handle will bolt up the same. The differences are in the two-fingerd pawl, and the locking cylinder.

Remove the chrome or plastic cover over the front of the handle.
Remove the Phillips screw at the front edge
Remove the Phillips screw at the rear inner door edge behind the notch on the door frame lip and behind the gasket.
Slide the handle off.

Remove the one Phillips screw that holds the 2 finger pawl on.
Remove the return spring that is under the pawl.
Insert your key in the lock cylinder. Now Tap the lock cylinder out from the rear with a smack on the square riser.

Do the same to the new handle as you will be swapping your lock cylinder out for theirs.
Use your 2 finger pawl and not theirs.

Napa, and a junk yard are places where you can get them. There is a difference between the left and the right.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...-Handle-Exterior/_/R-ATM1918372071_0257250524

#3 ·
Remove the chrome or plastic cover over the front of the handle.

The plastic black inserts just "pop" out.

Remove the Phillips screw at the front edge

Remove the Phillips screw at the rear inner door edge behind the notch on the door frame lip and behind the gasket.

Slide the handle off.

Remove the one Phillips screw that holds the 2 finger pawl on.

Remove the return spring that is under the pawl.

Insert your key in the lock cylinder. Now Tap the lock cylinder out from the rear with a smack on the square riser.

Do the same to the new handle as you will be swapping your lock cylinder out for theirs.
Installation is the reverse of removal.
You might as well use clean grease on the lock cylinder prior to re-install.

See step 8 to re-key the lock.
http://www.cabby-info.com/Files/RepairingDoorLocks.pdf

Yes I did it for you. :)

#7 ·
Thanks for all the info. Brian thanks for the write up. I ended up getting the Hella through http://www.germanautoparts.com/Volks...olet/Body/76/1. The Hella seemed to be thought of as the better quality from what I gathered and GAP seemed to have one of the better price points.

On a side note. My 13 year old daughter who was trying to help in our cooler MT temps jumped in the passengers side and hit the key to start it to let it warm up for mom not knowing it was in gear and part brake was not set. Traveled about 15 ft. till the garage door stalled it. No one was hurt. Dinged the metal edge of the grill, small dent on leading edge of hood, and both top corners of the fenders were caught. Garage door is in a little worse shape. This will be her second stick shift lesson. First being a more controlled lesson on how to start out from a stop with dad in the drive. Guess it could have been worse and I'm sure she won't forget to check to see if a stick shift is in gear before starting for a long time.

#8 ·
Opps,,,, My daughter did that one her first solo drive with her new license.... Only the garage door had to be replaced....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.