Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  C DUB 
#1 ·
I've read a couple comments that get at this a little bit, but I was hoping to get some more info. I asked the dealer's service department if they had had any complaints about this, and they said no.

Regardless of RPM, there's a fairly high-pitched whistle coming through the stereo when listening to my iPod in the center console. It's noticeable even at lower-mid volume levels, not just when it's cranked.

I've seen some people suggest a loose ground wire. Where would I start looking for this wire that needs to be tightened down or relocated?

According to some here, it might also be because of certain settings or volume levels on the iPod itself.

If you have had this problem and done things to correct, I'd like to hear from you about your solutions.

That said, this is relatively little problem with my Rabbit experience. I just got my Shadow Blue 2-door a month ago and I couldn't be more happy with it. I live in Chicago, and parking is almost as good as with my Ducati (R.I.P.).

Thanks in advance, all.

See less See more
#2 ·
I noticed the white noise with my IPOD but that was because the volume on the IPOD was way low and the volume on the stereo was way high. i addjusted the volume on the iPod up and the stereo down and the noise went away, unless i have the stereo volume cranked

#3 ·
Turning the volume on the iPod up pretty far-even full volume-seemed to help a bit. That and turning the EQ on the iPod off, too. There's still white noise present, but it's much more bearable now.

Let me know if anyone finds other ways to lessen this noise.

#5 ·
if its whats the noise I'm thinking of ( i have never heard it in a rabbit, but i've heard similar stuff using an ipod plugged into an amp and such)
I beleive the noise he refers to must sounds like a note, several octaves higher than normal, a high pitched "EEEEEEEE" is what I think of.

Is that the noise you're after?

#6 ·
ok see if this helps .. put your ipod volume to medium.. and control the level of volume from the stereo as you wish.. hope this helps

#8 ·
I have the EQ off and full volume on my iPod. You might want to invest in a different cable, sometimes this is the culprit. Or better yet, check the quality of your mp3s, get a good 192 VBR and you should be solid.

#10 ·
ShawnG- Based on Wikipedia's definition, I'd say that my noise is similar, though certainly not as pronounced.

Phonics Monkey- I was getting a distinctly high pitched sound like you're describing prior to turning the EQ on the iPod off.

Rabbit69- I'll give your suggestion a go tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Moo- I would have already switched out the cable if I were running the iPod through the AUX jack. As it is, I've got it on the adapter dock in the center console, so I can't easily swap cables. Perhaps VW would try that if I bugged them enough. My MP3s should be all good. I only encode my music at 256kbps.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions. If you have more, I'll take 'em. I'll post back if I get a definitive solution short of buying an aftermarket stereo.

#12 ·
#13 · (Edited)
I have to have my TREBLE on the lowest setting (-9) because of the high-pitched sound that it gives off otherwise. I've tried playing with the iPod's volume but this doesn't have any effect since it's on the dock and not playing through the headphone jack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.