Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  acgator 
#1 ·
I've been watching the stories about the 2008 Geneva Motor Show go by and I haven't seen anything about this VW concept.

I'd guess that it's a Mark VI model (or whatever post-Mark V is). It has a front end similar to the new Scirocco [that we won't be getting :(]. It has a 75hp, 3-cylinder TDI engine paired with a 27hp electric motor feeding into a 7-speed DSG transmission. Claimed mileage is 69mpg. If you look through the gallery, there's a picture which suggests some sort of AWD drive system being used.

I have no clue why I haven't seen this story before now, but here it is for the rest of you.

#3 ·
I think that this concept has no chance in the U.S. in its current configuration. It simply does not have enough power for the American market. I'd guess that VW can double the power output without halving the fuel economy. And even if the mileage took a 50% hit, it's still better than what the Rabbit gets now. I would have loved to be able to buy a TDI Rabbit.

#4 ·
I'd guess that it's a Mark VI model (or whatever post-Mark V is). It has a front end similar to the new Scirocco [that we won't be getting :(]. It has a 75hp, 3-cylinder TDI engine paired with a 27hp electric motor feeding into a 7-speed DSG transmission. Claimed mileage is 69mpg. If you look through the gallery, there's a picture which suggests some sort of AWD drive system being used.

I have no clue why I haven't seen this story before now, but here it is for the rest of you.
Pretty cool concept... recently saw this on MSN of all places... couple days ago.
I think this can do well here if, as you say, they can make it a bit more powerful.... so people can have a little fun with it... take it on the freeway or up the coast on a curvey road.

As far as this being an MKVI.... it's not.

Look closely, there is very, very little here that is new styling. It's an MKV body with a new grill and some special wheels... it has some Euro features... like different (Individual) dash trim, body painted front and rear valance... (I think it's just a European Votex kit)... and then the European headlight assy and tails... all expected since it's intended to be a car for the European market.

#5 ·
I dont think you can really complain about the horsepower. If your in the market for a vehicle with great gas mileage would you really be expecting a sports car? I bought my Rabbit knowing full well that there were cars that got better gas mileage. But none of them were as much fun to drive, and actually I've been seening better than EPA estimates on my Rabbit for city driving.

#6 ·
I think that the Rabbit TDI would be a phenomenal option here in the US. Toyota has done a great job of marketing the idea of being green through the Prius; Honda has likewise been successful in combining this with mass appeal (Civic Hybrid) as well as pushing innovation through the Civic GX and the FCX.

Brand loyalty aside, I think it's great that there are competing alternatives to the American status quo of "bigger is better" regardless of environmental impact. By introducing this version of the Rabbit, in addition to the Jetta diesel arriving this year, VW will be positioning themselves well in our growing environmentally- and economically-conscious market.

I get a surge of pride when I see fellow Rabbits and GTIs on the road by the virtue of being among VWs, but I'm also excited when I see hybrids or even cars like the Yaris and Fit. I feel that if we could combine the components of the Rabbit that bring us together on this forum with a technology that would advance the competition in the efforts to reduce carbon emissions and oil consumption, we'd be doing the right thing.

And it would be effin' cool.

#7 ·
What you guys are missing that the concept car has the same HP as the Toyota Prius. I won't say that they a "Sports car" by any means but I see alot around Boulder that are driving faster than the speed limit. Besides a diesel creates usually more torque than a gas engine like the Toyota so knowing VW it would probably have more zip than the Prius. Also hybrids usually run more off the electric motors than a combustion and electrics have way more torque than combustion. Besides the VW looks way cooler.:drive:

And when gas gets to be $5 a gallon 60MPG is going to look Verrry Good!
Also with a TDI engine you can run Bio-diesel that you make at home!

Style and Cheap just like my Girl!!!!

#10 ·
^ How nice of you to revive a thread that's over three years old. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.