Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Melly'sGLI 
#1 ·
I have an 04 Gli. I'm having a hard time deciding whether to put air ride or coilovers on her. I love the tucked look and the fact that I can left it up to drive since she is my daily driver. But I've never owned a car that I've put air ride on. With the coilovers give you the lowered look with better handling. This is my daily and my show car. I'm leaning towards the air ride. Any thoughts on either of these? Thanks!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#2 ·
I would ask what was important to you, the standard setup is vw's best compromise, anything you do will shift the balance.

If handling is you thing then coilovers are they way as they're designed to improve handing, coilovers that aren't 2 way damper adjustable aren't worth using.

Air ride is perfect if you need adjustability regularly. But you needs to set it up for a ride hight you want it most of the time, the dampers and spring rate will go against each other as height alters which causes bottoming out when low and bouncy when high.

#3 ·
Thanks! I am going with the air ride. I think in the long run I will like it more. Just not sure if I want manual or digital. I want to be able to slam it to the ground when I'm at car shows and then make it a little higher during my daily driving. Our roads here are not bad. I think I'll get use to the handling. It's not my race car so I'm going for looks for now. I will be upgrading my exhaust and rims also. After all that I'll worry about getting more horsepower out of it. Thanks for your input! !

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.