Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
7K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Jenny and Vince 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I am looking to buy a Wolkswagon 2010 2.5L 5 cylinder Jetta.

I have a few questions about maintenance, engine types, and fuel economy. And, does anyone have any opinions or experiences to share?

How is the fuel economy of the 2.5-liter 5-cylinder DOHC Duel economy? I've heard it's not as great as the diesel version, but that's what I've got.

I've also heard that the timing chains can providing some harsh wear and tear. However, the diesel has timing belts that need to be replaced about every 60,000 ? I don't want to source links as I am new here and know it's against rules!

I'm also wondering if it is easy to maintain or if even relatively simple fluid change outs require a dealership visit?

Any other pre-buying info would be great. Thanks!

#2 ·
easy to maintain. relatively inexpensive if you are handy with simple tools for oil changes, fuel filter changes, spark plug changes, etc.

i'm expecting to get to 200k+ miles on my original timing chain (already at 145k miles); they'll give warnings/codes when you need to change.

if you stick with the oem wheels and tires, you're likely to get better fuel economy; even more with steel wheels/hubcaps (super-light). The automatic transmissions get slightly better fuel economy, but you will need to service them every 50-60k miles; filter/fluid change.

#3 ·
Thanks for the input. I don't know enough about cars :)

I am wondering though, if the 2.5L DOHC is in fact chain rather than belt - I guess I'll have to take a look. I don't know about how engines are constructed, I was just told some things about the specific timing belt issues of the diesel.

I am handy with simple tools and simple maintenance, I guess I just wasn't sure if there was some longer term care (such as the Diesel timing belt that has a 60-100k mile life that needs to be maintained because of the danger of the pistons ruining the engine if it snaps? This is second hand things told to me by a friend) involved with the timing chain or concern of excessive grinding.

The car I am looking at is about 55k miles. I have contact with some reputable volkswagen mechanics that will charge $90 for a pre-purchase verview/inspection/etc

Thanks for the information - It seems the fuel economy is pretty much the norm for the price range I have (10-11k), with the diesel getting better, though the supposed aforementioned maintenance of the belt

#4 ·
early 2.5 engines (2005-2006) had chain problems that your probably unknowingly referencing/reading about.

the later 2.5 engines are rather bullet-proof; and you shouldn't have to worry about the chains.

$90 is a good price for them to look it over before your purchase, and i recommend them using VAGCOM/VCDS to perform an "auto-scan" to find any hidden proprietary codes/faults in the system. If they don't have vagcom find a mechanic that does. The device and software tell you waaaay more than a normal scanner. even down to hvac/radio/door lock mechanism fault codes.

i average 30mpg in my 2009 rabbit with the manual transmission. i have heavy aftermarket wheels though, but i do majority highway.

#6 ·
I just bought my 2nd 2011 Jetta SportWagen this month-March 2022. This is a SE model w/ TipTronic transmission and under 97000 miles. Exceptionally clean and I good shape in and out. Sold my ‘2015 RAV4 w/ 127,000 miles to get it which I’d gotten in late 2018 after selling my previous 2011 SEL SportWagen w/ 195,000 miles . I always missed the overall driving experience and mpg so jumped at the chance to get another. The SEL had the panoramic sunroof which I loved but this one has the Nav radio which is nice. Everything else is the same. I love this car but it’s no fun for the oil change place I use. Lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.