VW Rabbit Forum " Fuel Cap warning light" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fuel Cap warning light

Guru Member gpage13 is just really nice gpage13's Avatar
    Thanks

Fuel Cap warning light

So this morning as i'm getting on the highway to go to work i noticed that the check gas cap light was on. I though this was wired caus the last time i filleded up was a few days ago. and i drove about 200 miles without the light being on. when i got to work i checked the gas cap and it was tight, I turned it again until it clicked just to make sure. just wondering what else it could be?
    08 United Grey Rabbit w/TIP

2. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

Guru Member jthj is a glorious beacon of light jthj's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gpage13 View Post
    So this morning as i'm getting on the highway to go to work i noticed that the check gas cap light was on. I though this was wired caus the last time i filleded up was a few days ago. and i drove about 200 miles without the light being on. when i got to work i checked the gas cap and it was tight, I turned it again until it clicked just to make sure. just wondering what else it could be?
    I know you should always turn it until at least 3 clicks. If the light came on later I'd guess there was a pressure leak. Should probably have it checked out.
    '08 2-Door Reflex Silver

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Remove the fuel cap and install it again onto the tube. Wait a few days and it should go out. If not, your CEL might come or you should head over to the dealer.

The gas cap light means "Gross leak in evap system" meaning you got a big mutha f*&#'in hole somewhere.

2013 GLI Autobahn, 2010 Tiguan 4mo.
    This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    This post is simply my personal, not professional, opinion.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work
    Turbocharger Installation
    Pm me for details...many satisfied customers

It is what it is..
    Rabbid0281 is a glorious beacon of light Rabbid0281's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nitroscope8 View Post
    Remove the fuel cap and install it again onto the tube. Wait a few days and it should go out. If not, your CEL might come or you should head over to the dealer.

The gas cap light means "Gross leak in evap system" meaning you got a big mutha f*&#'in hole somewhere.

Man, Nitro you never cease to amaze me with you factory technical terms of explanation!!

Guru Member phonics_monkey is just really nice phonics_monkey's Avatar
    Thanks
    this randomly happened to me in my civic, i started the car up again and it fixed itself... still dont know why it came on in the first place.

Senior Member ManInTheClouds is a jewel in the rough ManInTheClouds's Avatar
    Thanks
    A loose fuel filler cap come up as a MIL light.

ROC'n Rabbits shawng is a name known to all shawng's Avatar
    Thanks
    No, This is a Rabbit, a loose fuel cap comes up as a loose fuel cap light. VW was nice enough to (hopefully) spare us the pain of the nondescript CEL or MIL light when it is only the fuel cap.

I'm broke
    nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8 has a reputation beyond repute nitroscope8's Avatar
    Thanks
    Whats even nicer is the fault that is stored in the ecm will clear itself after you tighten the cap and the car does a self check! So if that light goes out the next time you drive, the dealer can scan all day and never know there was a problem.

This post does not reflect the views or opinions of Volkswagen AG or any individually owned dealer or entity.
    VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Senior Member ManInTheClouds is a jewel in the rough ManInTheClouds's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by shawng View Post
    No, This is a Rabbit, a loose fuel cap comes up as a loose fuel cap light. VW was nice enough to (hopefully) spare us the pain of the nondescript CEL or MIL light when it is only the fuel cap.
    It says that on the cap itself. And a VW tech told me this as well. Even though it is in the manual, it's not for our cars .

I'm broke
    Thanks
    Sounds like a challenge. I'm gonna go rip off my gas cap and run the leak test. Ill report back.

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

Guru Member gpage13 is just really nice gpage13's Avatar
    Thanks
    Update
    when i left work this evening there was no more check light. if it keeps happening i'll deffinatly take it into the dealer
    08 United Grey Rabbit w/TIP

I'm broke
    Thanks
    :D .......

VAGCOM
    Part Installation
    Suspension installs
    Mechanical work

+ Reply to Thread