Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Dubsy 
#1 ·
Hi Guys! I'm new to the Volkswagen Owners Club and ran into a problem where I need you guys help. I am trying to replace my right rear brake pads and rotors. I have gotten as far as getting the caliper off and replacing the rotor but what running into is I can't compress the piston to install new brake pads. I rented the tool from AutoZone and when I tried to compress it, it wouldn't moved (yes I removed the brake reservoir cap under the good). So I returned the tool and got a c clamp, same results. So I'm stuck, any help or advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 ·
Reactions: Piverson
#3 ·
Hi @DUSlider and Thanks for your reply. Yes that was the exact tool set that they gave me and I was using two of the adapter that seemed to fit in the caliper. The caliper is so far out I could not fit the brake pad looking adapter inside the caliper to push the piston back but the piston was turning as I was able to at least fit the turning portion with the correct two pronged adapter on it just but the piston was not compressing back, so thats when I returned it and got the C Clamp but no success with that either. I do have a 2005 Jetta, 4cylinder, it is not a TDI, or GTI. Thanks!

#7 ·
I obviously don't know all the facts but judging by you planning on replacing only one side that side must be dragging, ie the caliper isn't retracting as it should in normal use, you are now having trouble pushing in the piston even with the tool and that suggests again the piston is being stopped form going in. The likely cause is the handbrake mechanism inside the caliper. The only cure is a new caliper if that's the case.
The other side has no effect on the piston it's just that brakes must be replaced as an axle set.
Just out of interest have you tried loosening the bleed nipple when trying to push it in. It may be the abs valve if it does retract with it loose (if it has abs).

#6 ·
Did you follow the instructions or guidelines for proper use of that tool?

Once you engage the tool and begin to turn, it will only turn so far. You will then have to re-set the tool to the new position and start again. Maybe two or three thread resets if i'm not mistaken.

If you brakes were working before you took the calipers off, they should have still been working before you put caliper tool on there.

I would suggest using the tool in the opposite direction to free it up a quarter-turn, the begin then compression.

You may want to make sure your emergency brake is not set.

Welcome to the VWOC and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.