VW Rabbit Forum " DIY- Oil Change" Volkswagen Rabbit Owners Club
VolkswagenOwnersClub.com is the premier Volkswagen forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.Please Register - It's Free!
Closed Thread

Thread: DIY- Oil Change

LIFETIME VIP MEMBER jaylind has much to be proud of jaylind's Avatar
    Thanks

DIY- Oil Change

How to change your oil in your 2.5L engine. Part 1

**Alway use safety glasses**
    Tools needed:
    Small flat screw driver or small pointed device
    19mm socket & Ratchet
    #25 Torx bit and driver
    Oil wrench
    Use oil catch pan
    Several Rags for clean up
    Large piece of cardboard (optional but helpful)
    7 quarts of VW approved oil. I used Mobil 1 0-40 synthetic European blend with the correct numbers on the back (see picture)

This is the Oil and Filter I used this round.

Here are the Tools needed

These are the Tools and the New filter

Begin by removing the Eight ( T-25 Torx bit screws 4 on each side as seen in the picture below. Place these in a safe place, once they are removed just pull the plastic shield towards the rear of the car. It will drop down, now set this in a safe place as well.

Now that the cover has been removed you have access to the Oil canister and drain plug.

On the bottom of the canister is a small "cap" with a tether attached remove the tether by sliding it over to the larger hole and move out of the way. Using the Oil Filter wrench loosen the canister, turning it counter clockwise. At this point you will want to make sure you have the drip pan in place and some rags ready to catch any oil that's going to drip. The cardboard can be placed under everything to allow you to move the pan around and if anything drips the cardboard will catch it. Once the canister is loose just give it a pull down and it will come loose, dump the oil into the pan. What I do at this point is get a plastic bag from Walmart and dump the filter into it, just turn the canister upside down in the bag and using the bag pull the filter out. Now let the canister set upside down to drain any remaining oil while we get back to the car.

Using the 19mm Socket break free the drain plug and move the drip pan under it. Once the plug is out let the oil drain for a while. While that's draining take the nut and clean it up with a rag, get as much of the dirt out fo the threads then place in a safe place.

Now back to the Oil filter wipe off any oil still remaining. The Oil filter kit should have come with and new gasket. Using your finger dip it into the new oil and rub it onto the gasket this will help it seal later on.

Here is the old seal in place on the rim of the canister. There is a small tab the you can use the screw driver to pull it out with. The tab is at about the One O'Clock postion in this picture.

This step is Optional. After the gasket is back in place I put in a small amount of oil in the canister. I am a firm believer that you should never run an engine without oil. If this has not oil to begin with then there will be a time however short that there is not oil in the engine. Just fill to about 1/2 way then install the new filter. Too much oil willl leak out as you put in the filter of when trying to screw the canister back on.

This is with the filter in.

Continued in the next post.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaylind For This Useful Post:

Hanoihancock (11-03-2013), hawkeye2188 (12-09-2010), kevile (04-28-2012)

3. Remove Advertisements
    VolkswagenOwnersClub.com
    Advertisements

LIFETIME VIP MEMBER jaylind has much to be proud of jaylind's Avatar
    Thanks
    How to change your oil in your 2.5L engine. Part 2

Take the drain plug and reinstall. When you tighten it do not over tighthen. Here is what I do, once the plug stops spinning I tap the end of the ratchet a few times to snug it up. To much force will strip it out.

Now install the canister be sure not to cross thread it. It will require a little force to get the filter in place it should begin to screw on with ease. Once tight use the wrench and snug it down. Replace the tether on the cap.
    Wipe everything down, getting all of the oil drips cleaned up. Doing this will help find any leaks you may have.

Now fill the engine with 6 quarts of Oil. Remove all tools and rags. Start car look for any leaks. If there are none shut the engine down and reinstall the lower plate. Check the oil level and top off if needed.

Now to reset the service light.
    With the doors closed put the key in the ignition. Hold down the trip odometer RESET button.
    Turn the key to the on position. You will see the SERVICE indicator wrench (Icon).
    Press the minute adjustment button. Release the trip odometer RESET button.
    This will reset the service interval for 5000 miles.

All this was done in my driveway I did not use jacks or stands everything was done with the car on the ground. So you do not need any special tools or even climb under a lifted car. Be sure to keep the receipts for you Oil and filter and log this into your owners manual. Total time was 10 minutes to do this from the first screw loosened. But with that said never rush take your time do it right and enjoy knowing you are that much closer to understanding your VW.

JAy
    Last edited by longboardskier; 07-06-2008 at 10:59 PM.

5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jaylind For This Useful Post:

Hanoihancock (11-03-2013), hawkeye2188 (12-09-2010), jettarules (01-29-2013), kevile (04-28-2012), Mr.Berks (05-17-2012), ScopeNHope (02-23-2013), tommy2stroke (02-22-2012), uagent (07-10-2010)

Closed Thread