Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner
3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sunshinecc 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I got a JumpStart from a big v8 after leaving my lights on. Now the radio has no life at all, won't come on or even say "safe" mode. All fuses are good and I left them out awhile and unhooked my battery for awhile but no life to the radio. Is there a fuse on the back of the radio that the JumpStart could have blown? Or could a jump blown the radio without frying the fuses? There was a lot of sparking when I connected the battery.

#3 ·
Thanks for the tip. Do you remember the order in which you hooked up the jumpers, i.e. hooked up to the dead battery last or first? In the days before computers in cars (BC) it really didn't matter too much which order you used, but these day I highly recommend hooking up the dead car first then the live one, leaving any surgeing and sparking away from the dead vehicle. These new computer systems do not play well with surges through the lines and you can blow-out an ECU in a heartbeat. The battery also work as a filter and surge protector to a certain degree and may protect the circuits. Also a tip here folks, don't use the old way of testing to see if an alternator is good by disconnecting battery while running and see if the engine dies or not. A surge created when that battery cable is disconnected can blow the ECU. I'd say you got lucky with just a radio fuse...Rock On!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.