Volkswagen Owners Club Forum banner

2010 Wolfsburg Jetta having MAJOR issue...engine? RPM? Please help

2K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  le0n 
#1 ·
Hi, my Jetta is doing really crappy all of the sudden and I as a terrible undeserving car owner am trying to diagnose it before bringing it in because I don't want to break my wallet here....

From furthest back issue, a couple months (maybe two or three now?) I believe my axle has been giving me some issues and pulling right...nothing terrible though so I figured I would just have it all fixed up during my next service/tire rotation (which IS btw past due as well...I am far too busy and put way too many miles on this car to go 7 months without a servicing. Shame on me, but such is life...).

Couple days ago, I noticed a very concerning sound coming from under the hood while driving...sort of a cylindrical type of noise that sped up as my car did. I had a friend who was with me at the time take a look but he couldn't figure it out as he is less familiar with VW's, but he said perhaps sounded like a belt? While my car is on but not moving, I rev the engine a couple times and the sound does not intensify and as I said, it gets worse the faster I drive, so this friend and I concluded that at least it seemed to be a non-engine issue. Now I am not so sure. But anyway, at that point I knew I had to bring the sucker in asap but maybe not in an EMERGENCY...well, as of today, I was driving, the noise still present. But now I can feel my engine sputtering and not shifting gears correctly...my RPMs are reading the same, it is sticking between 2 and 3k even when I let off the gas completely..not downshifting correctly.

So any ideas at all? Is my **** about to like explode and destroy itself? I am taking my car in for diagnosis tomorrow but frankly I am going to do my best to have this fixed by friends if possible because I can't afford some $1k+ work done at the moment...:(

See less See more
#2 ·
give us the mileage. a video of the offending noise/s would be a lot better for our interpretation too.

it sounds as if there are more than a few things going on with your car. are there any check engine lights or any other warning lights present on your dash? has the check engine light ever flashed at you?

what mileage interval do you get your oil/filter changed?

if your vehicle pulls to the left or right while driving down the road, it can simply be a wheel alignment issue.

welcome to the VWOC and good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.